How Much Force Must a Nurse Apply to Overcome Blood Pressure Using a Syringe?

• Thread starter talaroue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Syringe
In summary, the nurse needs to apply a minimum force to the syringe in order to inject medicine into a patient with a blood pressure of 140/100. The pressure in the syringe is constant, and the blood pressure can be used to calculate the force needed using the equation F1/A1 = F2/A2. The blood pressure is measured in mmHg and can be converted to Pa or atm if needed.
talaroue

Homework Statement

A 1.63 mL syringe has an inner diameter of 5.04 mm, a needle inner diameter 0.21 mm, and a plunger pad diameter (where you place your finger) of 1.06 cm. A nurse uses the syringe to inject medicine into a patient whose blood pressure is 140/100. What is the minimum force the nurse needs to apply to the syringe?

Homework Equations

F1/A1=F2/A2

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the pressure is constant through out the syringe, but what I don't know how the blood pressure is used. I see that i can use blood pressure=force/(area of needle inner diameter) solve for force. then use the relationship F/A to solve for the tap.

So long story short...does it matter what the blood pressure number is or do i have to change it to Pa/atm some how?

Physics news on Phys.org
im so confused about the blood pressure thing. FML

Blood pressure is unit force per area, so is that just mean I am left with F1/A1=Blood pressure

What is the pressure needed to get the goodies to enter the blood stream?

Blood pressure is measured in mmHg if that is the clue you need.

oh that's i couldn't find, let me work knowing that and see if I can figure it out.

What is a syringe?

A syringe is a medical tool that consists of a hollow tube with a narrow tip at one end and a plunger at the other end. It is used to inject or withdraw fluids, such as medications, into or from the body.

How does a nurse use a syringe?

A nurse will first properly prepare the syringe by attaching a needle to the tip, drawing up the correct amount of medication into the tube, and removing any air bubbles. Then, the nurse will clean the injection site, insert the needle into the skin, and slowly push the plunger to inject the medication. Once the medication is delivered, the nurse will remove the needle and properly dispose of the syringe.

What are some safety precautions a nurse should take when using a syringe?

A nurse should always use a new, sterile syringe and needle for each patient. They should also properly dispose of used syringes in a puncture-proof container to prevent accidental needle pricks. It is important for a nurse to always wear gloves and follow proper infection control measures to prevent the spread of disease.

What are some common uses for a syringe in nursing?

A syringe can be used for a variety of purposes in nursing, such as administering medications, vaccinations, and blood draws. It is also commonly used for procedures such as intravenous (IV) therapy and intramuscular (IM) injections.

What are the different types of syringes used by nurses?

There are various types of syringes used in nursing, including insulin syringes, tuberculin syringes, and standard syringes. The size and type of syringe used will depend on the specific medication or procedure being performed. Nurses should always use the appropriate syringe for the task at hand to ensure safe and accurate delivery of medication.