1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Odd Radian Question.

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the function y=sin2x +cos3x.

a.] Find a Value for the y if x= pye [Or who how ever it is spelled. 3.141592654]

b.] Find y if x=0.3 Radians.

c.] What is a period of this function? Show how you obtain this answer.

3. The attempt at a solution

No attempt since I have never come across these types of question in Radians before.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Venito! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)
    π radians = 180º …

if you're not used to radians, do it in degrees, and convert using the 180/π factor. :wink:

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3
    I am use to radians. Just not these. So use degrees. Okay I will give it a try.

Thanks.

5. Aug 25, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The period of sin(2x) is π radians. The period of cos(3x) is 2π/3 radians. The period of the sum of these two functions is the smallest interval that is evenly divisible by both π and 2π/3.

By the way, we spell the name of this Greek letter as pi. I'm guessing that you're Italian, and it is spelled the same way in Italian.

6. Aug 25, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You certainly should know that [itex]sin(2\pi)= 0[/itex] and [itex]cos(3\pi)= -1[/itex].

This is not going to be any simple value. Use a calculator.

What is the period of sin(2x)? What is the cos(3x)? What is the least common multiple of those two periods? Do you see why that is the period of y?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook