Twin Paradox: Who Is Right, A or B?

In summary: Be younger if they synchronize their clocks with A setting his clock to 0 and flashing a light at the same time. Both A and B will agree on their respective age differences once they meet up, they will however disagree as to just how that age difference came about.
We have to drop the term Aether because no one could ever observe it (i.e., finding a preferred frame of reference in vacuo). "Fabric of spacetime" sounds like some PR text on the cover of (usually pretty misleading) popular-science books. What's called "relativity" is nothing else than a theory about how to describe space and time and how to define reference frames, but I don't want to get into this discussion again, because that's an unnecessarily hot topic in these forums ;-)).

Physics news on Phys.org
Bruce Harvey said:
Surely, the point of the twins paradox was to contrast the relativity theory of Lorentz and Poincare with Einstein's theory.

No, the point of the twin paradox was to contrast relativity with Newtonian mechanics.

Bruce Harvey said:
In the former, the slowing of clocks is a real physical effect derived from Maxwell's equations. In Einstein's theory, it is an artefact of observation depending on the two reference frames overlapping.

You are mistaken. The difference in aging of the twins when they meet up again is a real affect, not "an artefact of observation" in relativity, period.

Bruce Harvey said:
The argument that A's frame of reference distorts as he accelerates is

Not an argument that relativity makes, so you are attacking a straw man.

Bruce Harvey said:
The first experimental observation of the slowing of a moving clock settled the case.

Between relativity and Newtonian mechanics, yes.

@PeroK has already pointed out that you previously agreed not to promote your non-mainstream views here. If you post about them again, you will receive a warning.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
I was careful not to promote my own ideas. I just quoted from history. Lorentz's derivation of the contraction from Maxwell's equations is back in print thanks to Dover. He identifies Maxwell'e wave equation in electric potential and Possion's equation as special cases of the same equation and in a few lines derives the Lorentz contraction. The increase in mass and slowing of clocks follows.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Bruce Harvey said:
I was careful not to promote my own ideas.

Not careful enough:

Bruce Harvey said:
Surely, the point of the twins paradox was to contrast the relativity theory of Lorentz and Poincare with Einstein's theory.

Bruce Harvey said:
We live in a Lorentz- Poincare universe, even if we have to drop the term "Aether" and substitute "fabric of spacetime".

In any case, what you said about the twin paradox was incorrect.

Dale said:
Both. With a one way trip the answer is frame dependent.
There is an objective answer to the question of whether A or B is younger (age in proper time) when they meet. Thus, with all due respect, this answer simply cannot be frame dependent.
With the planets having relative velocity zero and with the watches being synchronised (by say one twin sending the time and the other using that time to set their watch with a correction for the known lag due to transit - doesn't matter which), A (the traveling twin) is younger. The reason is clear in a space-time diagram drawn in the common initial stationary frame, where A's path is shorter according to the proper time pseudometric.
Thus, as has been explained in a slightly different way by others, B is right.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes PeroK
Elroch said:
There is an objective answer to the question of whether A or B is younger (age in proper time) when they meet.
Not for a one way trip (which means they don't meet).

Dale said:
With a one way trip the answer is frame dependent.
Elroch said:
There is an objective answer to the question of whether A or B is younger (age in proper time) when they meet. Thus, with all due respect, this answer simply cannot be frame dependent.
But in a one-way trip they don't meet so your comment does not apply to that case.

"A is younger than B" implies that at the same time that A's age is T, B's age is something less than T. If the two twins are not colocated then "at the same time" and any comaparisom of their ages is frame-dependent.

The aging is given by the proper time and thus frame-independent. Frame-dependent quantities are auxilliary tools to get physical observables which are all frame-independent.

Elroch said:
Yes, the age at reunion is frame independent. What is frame dependent is the initial age and the rate of aging.

Likes PeroK
Elroch said:
There is an objective answer to the question of whether A or B is younger (age in proper time) when they meet.
In the original formulation of the question on this thread the twins were born on different planets and meet up later. So yes, there's an invariant answer to the question of which one is older when they meet. There is no invariant answer to the question of whether they were born at the same time.

Ibix said:
In the original formulation of the question on this thread the twins were born on different planets ... There is no invariant answer to the question of whether they were born at the same time.
Hey, maybe them twins ain't twins!

Likes Ibix
PeroK said:
Whether it's a twin paradox or not is frame dependent. 😁

Likes PeroK
Ibix said:
In the original formulation of the question on this thread the twins were born on different planets and meet up later. So yes, there's an invariant answer to the question of which one is older when they meet. There is no invariant answer to the question of whether they were born at the same time.
Yes.
But if they are essentially stationary relative to each other there is an objective answer to the question of which was born first according to either of the clocks they carry with them (because these clocks run at the same speed and can be synchronised at any time in a unique, consistent way). The special nature of a proper time clock for each person makes it seem natural to use the frame that agrees with both.
Of course we do this all the time on our own planet. If you ask someone "how old are you?", they rarely answer "with respect to a clock moving at which speed?".

• Skeptical
Likes Motore and PeroK
Elroch said:
Yes.
But if they are essentially stationary relative to each other there is an objective answer to the question of which was born first according to either of the clocks they carry with them (because these clocks run at the same speed and can be synchronised at any time in a unique, consistent way). The special nature of a proper time clock for each person makes it seem natural to use the frame that agrees with both.
Of course we do this all the time on our own planet. If you ask someone "how old are you?", they rarely answer "with respect to a clock moving at which speed?".

This is missing the point about the relativity of simultaneity.

Your age is essentially the length of your worldline (though spacetime) since you were born. That is an invariant. As long as you define the event local to you to where the worldline is measured and your age calculated.

(But, your age at the time when, say, Betelgeuse goes supernova is frame dependent. Because that event is not colocated with you.)

The amount the traveling twin has aged between leaving Earth and arriving at planet X is also an invariant.

But:

The amount that the Earth has aged between these two events is frame dependent. In the Earth's rest frame it is greater than the above. But, in a reference frame in which the Earth (and planet X) are moving, the traveling twin may have initially decelerated and aged more between these events than either the Earth or planet X.

It's only when the traveller returns to Earth that all frames agree on the differential ageing. Not all frames agree at the turnaround point.

Elroch said:
But if they are essentially stationary relative to each other there is an objective answer to the question of which was born first according to a clock either carries with them (because these clocks run at the same speed and can be synchronised at any time in a unique way).
They are synchronized in their common rest frame, but they will not have been synchronized in the rest frame of the traveling twin. You don't really have a twin paradox here. What you have is the paradox of time dilation, that is, how can each observe that the other's clock is running slow? The solution lies in the understanding that each of the twins have different notions of simultaneity. If the staying twin observes the twins being born at the same time, the traveling twin, once he's in motion, will observe that in the rest frame he now occupies, they were born at different times.

Elroch said:
But if they are essentially stationary relative to each other there is an objective answer to the question of which was born first according to either of the clocks they carry with them (because these clocks run at the same speed and can be synchronised at any time in a unique, consistent way).
Using Einstein synchronisation is a matter of choice. Using Einstein synchronisation in a particular frame is a matter of choice. And any other choice amounts merely to picking a different coordinate system which, apart from making the maths more complicated, has no consequences.

It is an objective fact that if you use Einstein's synchronisation procedure and if you take the twins to be at rest then you will say that they are twins. But the twins may have made different choices - so they may not agree with you. There are rather a lot of subjective caveats to your "objective answer".
Elroch said:
And "I was only doing 30mph relative to the car I crashed into" is not a defence against a charge of doing 60 in a 30 limit, although I have yet to see a law that specifies the reference frame in which speed limits are set. We adopt standard conventions all the time, but they should not be elevated to the status of "objective".

Last edited:
Likes Dale
PeroK said:
It must have been a painful delivery if they are

Elroch said:
But if they are essentially stationary relative to each other there is an objective answer to the question of which was born first according to either of the clocks they carry with them (because these clocks run at the same speed and can be synchronised at any time in a unique, consistent way).
That doesn’t change the fact that their starting ages are frame dependent.

Also, it isn’t terribly informative since (regardless of the motion of the twins or the clocks) there is always an objective answer of which was born first according to any given pair of synchronized clocks at the births. The problem is that different pairs of synchronized clocks at the births disagree on their respective objective answers.

I don't have any problem agreeing with your unambiguous statements.
  1. "their starting ages are frame dependent"
  2. "there is always of which was born first according to any given pair of synchronized clocks at the events"
  3. " different pairs of synchronized clocks at the births disagree on their respective objective answers"
I think the phrases "terribly informative", the implication implied by "since" and the nature of the "problem" referred to at the end need a little clarification. Let me illustrate with an analogous statement (in italics to indicate it is not my view).

The time the Earth has existed is frame dependent. It isn't terribly informative since there is always an objective answer of how long the Earth has existed given a choice of frame. The problem is that different choices of frame disagree on their respective objective answers.

I emphasise that I am not disagreeing with the physics that has been described. I would suggest it is correct to say that picking the stationary frame is no more informative than using any other (just simpler). i.e. nothing more can be inferred about observations in the real world (which is all that really matters, right?)

As no-one else has done so, perhaps a sketch of a couple of freehand (sorry) space time diagrams will throw light on the central point to someone. They always do to me.

The first is the story in the rest frame of the two planets. Those familiar with the special relativistic pseudometric will immediately see the blue path has shorter proper time associated with it. The second diagram is in a frame chosen to coincide with the velocity of the traveling "twin". Here the blue path has visibly larger proper time. This illustrates the traveling twin has only "aged less" in some frames.

not twins.png

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Elroch said:
The first is the story in the rest frame of the two planets. Those familiar with the special relativistic pseudometric will immediately see the blue path has shorter proper time associated with it. The second diagram is in a frame chosen to coincide with the velocity of the traveling "twin". Here the blue path has visibly larger proper time. This illustrates the traveling twin has only "aged less" in some frames.
Worth noting that those two spacetime diagrams don't show the same thing. In both frames you have the red and blue lines starting simultaneously at ##t=0## and ##t'=0##, so you've cut them off at different events. This is misleading, since the whole point is that the twins are only born at the same time in at most one frame. It is this difference in birth times, coupled with the paths of different "lengths", that resolves the apparent paradox.

I would also say that your last sentence is confusing at best. If you mean that the traveling twin has aged less than the other during the journey in some frames, then I agree. However, if you mean that the traveling twin has aged less when they meet up in some frames, then I disagree - that's true in all frames.

Likes vanhees71
Ibix said:
Worth noting that those two spacetime diagrams don't show the same thing.
Yes, while that was key, it is worth emphasising. It is of course only possible for the proper times to be different in the two diagrams because they start at different points in the lives of the twins (or they are different pairs of twins).
Ibix said:
In both frames you have the red and blue lines starting simultaneously at ##t=0## and ##t'=0##, so you've cut them off at different events. This is misleading, since the whole point is that the twins are only born at the same time in at most one frame. It is this difference in birth times, coupled with the paths of different "lengths", that resolves the apparent paradox.
You rightly draw attention to something that I should have clarified. The two different horizontal axes cannot possibly both correspond to both births for the same pair of twins. They can represent two different sets of twins being born at the same time according to a stationary observer in one case and a moving one in the other. Alternatively, they can correspond to two pairs of points in the lives of the "twins" which are respectively considered simultaneous to the two different observers.
Ibix said:
I would also say that your last sentence is confusing at best. If you mean that the traveling twin has aged less than the other during the journey in some frames, then I agree. However, if you mean that the traveling twin has aged less when they meet up in some frames, then I disagree - that's true in all frames.
Suppose the second diagram does show the birth of the twins at time zero in the moving observer's frame (or just a chosen time in his frame from which he wishes to see how A and B age). Then he infers that A (the traveling twin) ages more from there to when they meet up, and he is right.

Elroch said:
The time the Earth has existed is frame dependent. It isn't terribly informative since there is always an objective answer of how long the Earth has existed given a choice of frame. The problem is that different choices of frame disagree on their respective objective answers.
I am not sure I get your point. It sounded at first like you were trying to make an objectionable analogous statement. But then your analogy was not at all objectionable to me.

I am glad it was not inadvertently objectionable! You achieve a very good tone in your contributions.

Likes Dale
Dale said:
Yes, the age at reunion is frame independent. What is frame dependent is the initial age and the rate of aging.
I don't understand the latter statement. The proper time of each twin is a scalar and thus frame independent, right?

If you want to compare clocks of two observers, this must be done at one event, i.e., when they meet. Then you can compare the clock readings of the observers.

Take as an example the most simple practical setup for a test of the twin paradox: Some unstable particle/nucleus in a storage ring. It's lifetime is defined (sic!) as the mean proper time of this particle it takes for the particle to decay measured from a time where the particle's existence has been established with certainty. This lifetime can be compared to a clock reading at rest wrt. the laboratory. The measured mean lifetime in the lab is longer by a Lorentz ##\gamma## factor.

vanhees71 said:
If you want to compare clocks of two observers, this must be done at one event, i.e., when they meet. Then you can compare the clock readings of the observers.
Unfortunately, the setup in this version of the thought experiment doesn't allow that. The twins don't start in the same place - that's the whole problem. So there's an invariant answer to how old the traveller was when he left his planet and an invariant answer to how old both were when they meet. But "how old was the inertial twin when the traveller started travelling" depends on your simultaneity criterion, as does "how fast does each one age".

Likes Dale
Then you cannot compare the age of the twins to begin with and the question doesn't make sense at all, and it's not a twin paradox at the usual sense.

vanhees71 said:
Then you cannot compare the age of the twins to begin with and the question doesn't make sense at all, and it's not a twin paradox at the usual sense.
In other words:
PeroK said:

Likes vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
Indeed. It's actually nearer the cosmic ray muons experiment.

The cosmic-ray muons experiment is an interesting example for a "one-way twin paradox"-like setting, which is well defined, because what's fixed here is the travel distance of the muons. The experiment is simply measuring the rate of cosmic muons as function of their momentum, or their ##\gamma=E/(mc^2)## factor, relative to Earth at two different heights, i.e., at some fixed distance ##L## (as measured relative to Earth). The travel time (measured relative to Earth) is of course ##t=L/v=L c p/E##. The lifetime of the muon is ##\tau## and by defnition measured in their rest frame, i.e., it's measured in terms of the muons' proper time. The SRT prediction then is that the lifetime as measured with respect to Earth is ##\tau'=\gamma \tau##, i.e., one should get
$$N=N_0 \exp[-t/(\gamma \tau)].$$
muons, and that's confirmed by experiment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_testing_of_time_dilation#Frisch–Smith_experiment

vanhees71 said:
The proper time of each twin is a scalar and thus frame independent, right?
Yes, but the clocks are spatially separated so the initial ages depend on the frame’s definition of simultaneity, and the rate of aging is a frame-variant ratio of coordinate time and proper time

vanhees71 said:
If you want to compare clocks of two observers, this must be done at one event, i.e., when they meet.
At the beginning of this scenario the twins are spatially separated. You certainly can compare such clocks (that is indeed the point of a simultaneity convention), but the result is frame-variant as I said.

Last edited:
Ok, but then we are not discussing a twin paradox anymore.

vanhees71 said:
Ok, but then we are not discussing a twin paradox anymore.
Agreed. Hence @PeroK’s funny comment
PeroK said:

Likes vanhees71
Say twin pilot A and B are on board the same product of VERY LONG spaceship with synchronized clocks in each way outfitted in everywhere in ship. They are at cockpits situated at the top end of the ships. Along the same line course they approach with inertial motion, pass nearby. A and B observe they share cokpit clock time = 0 when the cockpits are nearby.

The cockpit of B ship pass the tail end of A ship, then and there the B top cockpit clock time < the A tail end clock time
A judges "If now B recoils back with same speed to see me again, then I will be older than B by 2* ( RHS - LHS of the above inequality ) when we meet."

The cockpit of A ship pass the tail end of B ship, then and there the A top cockpit clock time < the B tail end clock time
B judges "If now A recoils back with same speed to see me again, then I will be older than A by 2* ( RHS - LHS of the above inequality ) when we meet."

Such a scenario comes to my mind inspired by the title of OP. If which pilot will turn back is a kind of chicken race, the looser who recoils back is younger when they meet. If they both do not want to lose, they both keep going and will not meet again forever so the race is a draw or no match.

Last edited:
<h2>1. How can one twin age slower than the other if they are both in motion?</h2><p>The key to understanding the Twin Paradox is the concept of relative motion. In this scenario, one twin (A) stays on Earth while the other twin (B) travels at high speeds in a spacecraft. Due to the theory of relativity, time is perceived differently for observers in different frames of reference. Therefore, while B is in motion, time will appear to pass slower for them compared to A on Earth. This is known as time dilation.</p><h2>2. Which twin is actually younger when they are reunited?</h2><p>According to the theory of relativity, both twins are technically correct in their perception of time. However, when B returns to Earth, they will have experienced less time than A due to time dilation. Therefore, B will be younger than A when they are reunited.</p><h2>3. Is the Twin Paradox a real phenomenon or just a thought experiment?</h2><p>The Twin Paradox is a real phenomenon that has been confirmed through experiments with atomic clocks and high-speed space travel. The effects of time dilation have been observed and measured, providing evidence for the validity of the theory of relativity.</p><h2>4. Can the Twin Paradox be applied to any situation or is it limited to twins?</h2><p>The Twin Paradox can be applied to any situation involving two objects in relative motion. It is not limited to just twins, but can also be used to understand the effects of time dilation in space travel and other scenarios involving high speeds.</p><h2>5. What other factors can affect the outcome of the Twin Paradox?</h2><p>In addition to relative motion, other factors such as acceleration and gravity can also affect the outcome of the Twin Paradox. Acceleration can cause time dilation, while gravity can cause time to pass slower in stronger gravitational fields. These factors must be taken into account when considering the effects of the Twin Paradox.</p>

1. How can one twin age slower than the other if they are both in motion?

The key to understanding the Twin Paradox is the concept of relative motion. In this scenario, one twin (A) stays on Earth while the other twin (B) travels at high speeds in a spacecraft. Due to the theory of relativity, time is perceived differently for observers in different frames of reference. Therefore, while B is in motion, time will appear to pass slower for them compared to A on Earth. This is known as time dilation.

2. Which twin is actually younger when they are reunited?

According to the theory of relativity, both twins are technically correct in their perception of time. However, when B returns to Earth, they will have experienced less time than A due to time dilation. Therefore, B will be younger than A when they are reunited.

3. Is the Twin Paradox a real phenomenon or just a thought experiment?

The Twin Paradox is a real phenomenon that has been confirmed through experiments with atomic clocks and high-speed space travel. The effects of time dilation have been observed and measured, providing evidence for the validity of the theory of relativity.

4. Can the Twin Paradox be applied to any situation or is it limited to twins?

The Twin Paradox can be applied to any situation involving two objects in relative motion. It is not limited to just twins, but can also be used to understand the effects of time dilation in space travel and other scenarios involving high speeds.

5. What other factors can affect the outcome of the Twin Paradox?

In addition to relative motion, other factors such as acceleration and gravity can also affect the outcome of the Twin Paradox. Acceleration can cause time dilation, while gravity can cause time to pass slower in stronger gravitational fields. These factors must be taken into account when considering the effects of the Twin Paradox.