1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A.P. French, Mechanics Problem

1. Sep 13, 2005 #1
    I am using A.P. French, Mechanics, to supplement my Physics studies (i.e., on my own). I'm stumbling over problem 6-3 (b): A man of 80 kg jumps down from a window ledge 1.5 m above ground, bending his knees so that his center of gravity descends an additional distance h after his feet touch the ground, what must h be so that the average force exerted on him by the ground is only three times his normal weight?

So, obviously, a=3 m/s^2, since we want F=(80 kg)(3 m/s^2). I use v^2 = 2g(1.5) to get the velocity at the point that the knees start to bend, so v^2 = 29.4 (m^2/s^2).

Since I want a=3 m/s^2, I reason that all I need is to use 0 = v^2 - 2ah, with a=3 and v^2=29.4, to find the stopping distance at that acceleration, which should be h.

This gives me 4.9 m, which seems excessive, and French gives h = 0.75 m, and I can't see how he ended up with that. It seems to me this would correspond to a final velocity of 2.12 m/s, which is way too low for a 1.5 m drop.

Well, thank you for any suggestions or pointers.

Dot

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

... AP french? whats that have to do with physics

4. Sep 13, 2005 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A. P. French is the author of the book, ding-a-ling! :wink:

You mean a=3g=29.4 m/s2, don't you?

5. Sep 13, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6. Sep 13, 2005 #5
    You mean a=3g=29.4 m/s2, don't you?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tom. What a gracious way to point out my foolish error.

However, this would give h=0.5 m, not h = 0.75 m. So I am still puzzling...

Thanks again,
    Dot

7. Sep 13, 2005 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't worked out this problem yet, but here is one other thing:

That would be true if the acceleration were constant, which it almost certainly is not.

I'm not familiar with French, so let me ask you something: Do you at this point have energy methods (work-energy theorem, conservation of energy) at your disposal? How about impulse?

8. Sep 13, 2005 #7
    The force exerted by the ground is 3mg and the downward gravity is mg
    Hence the deceleration is 3g-g=2g

hence we have
    v^2=2(2g)(h)

or
    h=v^2/(4g)
    and v^2=2g.1.5
    So
    h=2*1.5/4=3/4=0.75 metres or 75 centimetres

9. Sep 13, 2005 #8
    Thank you. I find this simple problem very confusing, and I appreciate both of you helping me very much.

Thanks again,
    Dot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?