A.P. French, Mechanics Problem

• Thread starter Dorothy Weglend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation centers around a problem in A.P. French's Mechanics book, where a man of 80 kg jumps down from a window ledge and bends his knees to decrease the force exerted on him by the ground. The goal is to find the necessary distance h for the average force to be three times his normal weight. The conversation includes calculations and discussion about the deceleration, final velocity, and stopping distance. One person also mentions the use of energy and impulse methods in solving the problem. Ultimately, it is determined that h should be 0.75 meters or 75 centimeters.
Dorothy Weglend
I am using A.P. French, Mechanics, to supplement my Physics studies (i.e., on my own). I'm stumbling over problem 6-3 (b): A man of 80 kg jumps down from a window ledge 1.5 m above ground, bending his knees so that his center of gravity descends an additional distance h after his feet touch the ground, what must h be so that the average force exerted on him by the ground is only three times his normal weight?

So, obviously, a=3 m/s^2, since we want F=(80 kg)(3 m/s^2). I use v^2 = 2g(1.5) to get the velocity at the point that the knees start to bend, so v^2 = 29.4 (m^2/s^2).

Since I want a=3 m/s^2, I reason that all I need is to use 0 = v^2 - 2ah, with a=3 and v^2=29.4, to find the stopping distance at that acceleration, which should be h.

This gives me 4.9 m, which seems excessive, and French gives h = 0.75 m, and I can't see how he ended up with that. It seems to me this would correspond to a final velocity of 2.12 m/s, which is way too low for a 1.5 m drop.

Well, thank you for any suggestions or pointers.

Dot

Physics news on Phys.org
... AP french? what's that have to do with physics

Pengwuino said:
... AP french? what's that have to do with physics

A. P. French is the author of the book, ding-a-ling! :wink:

Dorothy said:
So, obviously, a=3 m/s^2, since we want F=(80 kg)(3 m/s^2).

You mean a=3g=29.4 m/s2, don't you?

Tom Mattson said:
A. P. French is the author of the book, ding-a-ling! :wink:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You mean a=3g=29.4 m/s2, don't you?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tom. What a gracious way to point out my foolish error.

However, this would give h=0.5 m, not h = 0.75 m. So I am still puzzling...

Thanks again,
Dot

I haven't worked out this problem yet, but here is one other thing:

Dorothy Weglend said:
Since I want a=3 m/s^2, I reason that all I need is to use 0 = v^2 - 2ah, with a=3 and v^2=29.4, to find the stopping distance at that acceleration, which should be h.

That would be true if the acceleration were constant, which it almost certainly is not.

I'm not familiar with French, so let me ask you something: Do you at this point have energy methods (work-energy theorem, conservation of energy) at your disposal? How about impulse?

The force exerted by the ground is 3mg and the downward gravity is mg
Hence the deceleration is 3g-g=2g

hence we have
v^2=2(2g)(h)

or
h=v^2/(4g)
and v^2=2g.1.5
So
h=2*1.5/4=3/4=0.75 metres or 75 centimetres

balakrishnan_v said:
The force exerted by the ground is 3mg and the downward gravity is mg
Hence the deceleration is 3g-g=2g

Thank you. I find this simple problem very confusing, and I appreciate both of you helping me very much.

Thanks again,
Dot

1. What is A.P. French Mechanics?

A.P. French Mechanics refers to the Mechanics section of the Advanced Placement (AP) Physics curriculum created by physicist and educator Anthony Philip French. It covers the principles and applications of classical mechanics, including topics such as kinematics, forces, energy, and rotational motion.

2. How do I solve A.P. French Mechanics problems?

To solve A.P. French Mechanics problems, it is important to first understand the concepts and principles involved. Then, you can use mathematical equations and problem-solving strategies to analyze and solve the given problem. Practice and familiarization with the material is key to success in this subject.

3. What are some common challenges in A.P. French Mechanics?

Some common challenges in A.P. French Mechanics include understanding the complex concepts and equations, applying them correctly to different types of problems, and interpreting and visualizing the physical situations presented in the problems.

4. How can I prepare for the A.P. French Mechanics exam?

To prepare for the A.P. French Mechanics exam, you can review the material covered in class and use study guides and practice problems to reinforce your understanding. It is also helpful to take timed practice tests to familiarize yourself with the format and time constraints of the exam.

5. What career paths can A.P. French Mechanics lead to?

A.P. French Mechanics is a fundamental part of physics and is applicable to many career paths, including engineering, architecture, computer science, and research. It also provides a solid foundation for further studies in physics, astronomy, or other fields of science and technology.