A pair of two-dimensional supercompressed circles (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

235
0
Imagine a two dimensional universe, a plane. We take two perfect circles on this plane; they are uncompressable, being elementary particles or some such thing (whatever they are, the important thing is that they cannot be compressed). We take these two circles and set them on a collision course (the line defining the course passes through both of the circle's centers).

What happens when they collide? They can't refract because the angle is straight-on. They can't bounce because they can't be compressed. The energy has to go somewhere; so what happens?

They could explode, perhaps. Maybe the entire two dimensional universe is destroyed somehow? Or maybe the energy gets transferred in another direction, off of their twodimensional plane? While they are perfect circles ON the plane, they may not be spheres in 3d space- so perhaps one goes "up" and one goes "down" and they eventually end up in a different plane (universe) than when they started?

If the latter is the case, perhaps we could replicate this with three-dimensional spheres? Any thoughts?
 

NateTG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2,448
5
What happens when an immovable object meets an irresistable force?

If you want to build a system where you can deny everything, why bother to occlude it so crudely. If you construct a hypothetical paradox, why should you expect a resolution from someone else?
 
235
0
But uncompressable objects are possible, while an "unmovable" object is not (the very nature of motion is relative, so nothing is "unmovable" because of the lack of absolute location). In 3d space it is concievable that we could create or obtain spherical/point particles that cannot be compressed. Maybe black holes or something?

I havn't simply made up an entire new, impossible concept and asked for input (EG what if boxes were round? how would they be boxes?!). The two-dimensional universe is an analogy for the three-dimensional universe, and I've not included anything inherrently paradoxial or provedly impossible.
 
758
38
Originally posted by Sikz
Imagine a two dimensional universe, a plane. We take two perfect circles on this plane; they are uncompressable, being elementary particles or some such thing (whatever they are, the important thing is that they cannot be compressed). We take these two circles and set them on a collision course (the line defining the course passes through both of the circle's centers).

What happens when they collide? They can't refract because the angle is straight-on. They can't bounce because they can't be compressed. The energy has to go somewhere; so what happens?

They could explode, perhaps. Maybe the entire two dimensional universe is destroyed somehow? Or maybe the energy gets transferred in another direction, off of their twodimensional plane? While they are perfect circles ON the plane, they may not be spheres in 3d space- so perhaps one goes "up" and one goes "down" and they eventually end up in a different plane (universe) than when they started?

If the latter is the case, perhaps we could replicate this with three-dimensional spheres? Any thoughts?
The scenario you have set up here can be described as a purely Elastic Collision. It's analogous to billiard balls colliding as compared to spheres of putty colliding which would be considered an inelastic collision. In a purely elastic collision, no energy is converted to heat and momentum is conserved in the colliding objects. In your scenario, the circles will rebound in the opposite direction and the sum of their momentums will be conserved. This means if they were approaching each other at the same speed, after the collision, they will be moving in the opposite directions at the same speed.
 
235
0
But isn't that due to "bouncing"? If they can't compress they can't bounce. Or is that regardless of "bouncing", just happening normally?
 

NateTG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2,448
5
Originally posted by Sikz
But uncompressable objects are possible, while an "unmovable" object is not (the very nature of motion is relative, so nothing is "unmovable" because of the lack of absolute location).
Actually, it's impossible to create an uncompressible object.

If an impulse hits one end of the object, then it takes at least d/c time for the far end of the object to react where d is the diameter of the object, and c is the speed of light.
 
235
0
Unless it's a point particle... right? (assuming they exist and aren't strings)
 
758
38
Sikz, have you read "Flatland" by Edwin Abott? I'm guessing you probably have but if not, I think you would enjoy it.

http://ry4an.org/flatland/

Originally posted by Sikz
Unless it's a point particle... right? (assuming they exist and aren't strings)
There is certainly nothing wrong with considering 'ideal' cases. Scientists do it all the time.
 
Last edited:

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving
Top