A part of the sun broke off and is headed our way

• Thread starter johnqwertyful
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sun The sun
In summary, NASA spotted a giant dark hole in the sun. It is speculated that this hole is the result of a mass ejection from the area. It is also speculated that if we shoot Evo into space, the sun part will follow her and leave us alone.
Physics news on Phys.org
Nooooooo! I'm too young to die T_T! Whyyyyyyy

lol...fox news.. got to love em..i didn't even feel it 3 days and 8 minutes ago..

weird.

If we just shoot Evo into space, then the sun part will follow her and leave us alone... Just sayin'.

micromass said:
If we just shoot Evo into space, then the sun part will follow her and leave us alone... Just sayin'.
:cry: It's true.

that's got to be the most worst scientific misinformation, from some one who should know what he's talking about, that I have ever heard!

Its a freaking coronal hole! has nothing to do with a mass of stuff being ejected from that area

makes me want to swear long and hard when I hear crap like that

Dave

davenn said:
that's got to be the most worst scientific misinformation, ...makes me want to swear long and hard when I hear crap like that
Doesn't matter. Evo is doomed.

davenn said:
that's got to be the most worst scientific misinformation ... makes me want to swear long and hard when I hear crap like that

Hey, it's FOX ! Their science reporting is on a par with their political reporting. What would you expect?

davenn said:
that's got to be the most worst scientific misinformation, from some one who should know what he's talking about, that I have ever heard!

Its a freaking coronal hole! has nothing to do with a mass of stuff being ejected from that area

makes me want to swear long and hard when I hear crap like that

Dave

Yea what the hell, and he still says "we don't really know why this happens", like he has any idea of what he's talking about... Where the hell does Fox News get these people?

dlgoff said:
Doesn't matter. Evo is doomed.
:cry:

Tosh5457 said:
... Where the hell does Fox News get these people?

Same trash bin they found Sean Hannity in.

davenn said:
Its a freaking coronal hole!
Exactly. Coronal holes are the primary source of the fast solar wind. We had some rather nice aurora the past few days thanks to this large and persistent coronal hole, plus a few minor satellite disturbances.

I don't know how I missed this.

I died laughing when he said "this whole chunk blew off and is headed right for us."

Epic.

What does it mean that a part of the sun broke off?

This refers to a phenomenon known as a solar flare or coronal mass ejection, where a large burst of energy and particles is released from the surface of the sun.

Is it dangerous for this part of the sun to be headed our way?

While solar flares can be dangerous for astronauts and technology in space, they typically have minimal impact on Earth. However, if the flare is particularly strong, it can disrupt satellite and communication systems, and potentially cause power outages on Earth.

How long will it take for the part of the sun to reach us?

The time it takes for a solar flare to reach Earth depends on its speed and direction. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-3 days for the particles to reach Earth's atmosphere.

What measures are being taken to protect us from the part of the sun?

Scientists and space agencies closely monitor solar activity and can predict when a solar flare is headed towards Earth. They can also take precautions, such as adjusting satellite orbits, to minimize the impact of the flare.

Can we see this part of the sun when it reaches Earth?

Most of the particles from a solar flare are invisible to the naked eye. However, they can cause beautiful aurora borealis displays in the night sky near the poles. It is important to never look directly at the sun, even during a solar flare event.