1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A partial derivative problem?

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    Find par(z)/par(t) at s=1, t=0
    when z= ln(x+y), x=s+t, y=s-t

Not sure how to approach cause if i plug in s's and t's i get an answer of 0 because taking the partial with respect to t yields a zero. Can someone shed some light on how to correctly solve?

par(z)/par(t) = partial derivative of z with respect to t

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

djeitnstine

Gold Member

find [tex]\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}} \frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{t}}}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{y}} \frac{\partial{y}}{\partial{t}}[/tex]

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The chain rule for partial derivatives is
    [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+ \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}[/tex]

5. Mar 2, 2009 #4
    I just don't know how to deal with it in the form its in. The s and t are what are confusing me, can u give me some sort of an example?

The way i did it is substitute s and t for y and x so i get ln(2s) but when u take partial with respect to t you get 0? is this correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook