Solving a Partial Derivative Problem with Substitution

In summary, the partial derivative of z with respect to t at s=1, t=0 is 0. This is because the chain rule for partial derivatives is used, where the partial derivative of z with respect to t is equal to the partial derivative of z with respect to x multiplied by the partial derivative of x with respect to t, plus the partial derivative of z with respect to y multiplied by the partial derivative of y with respect to t. When substituted with the given values, the result is ln(2s), which simplifies to 0 when the partial derivative with respect to t is taken.
Derill03
Find par(z)/par(t) at s=1, t=0
when z= ln(x+y), x=s+t, y=s-t

Not sure how to approach cause if i plug in s's and t's i get an answer of 0 because taking the partial with respect to t yields a zero. Can someone shed some light on how to correctly solve?

par(z)/par(t) = partial derivative of z with respect to t

Physics news on Phys.org
find [tex]\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{x}} \frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{t}}}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial{z}}{\partial{y}} \frac{\partial{y}}{\partial{t}}[/tex]

The chain rule for partial derivatives is
[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+ \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}[/tex]

I just don't know how to deal with it in the form its in. The s and t are what are confusing me, can u give me some sort of an example?

The way i did it is substitute s and t for y and x so i get ln(2s) but when u take partial with respect to t you get 0? is this correct?

1. What is a partial derivative problem?

A partial derivative problem involves finding the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It is a tool used in calculus to analyze the behavior of functions in higher dimensions.

2. How do you solve a partial derivative problem?

To solve a partial derivative problem, you first need to identify the function and the variable you want to differentiate with respect to. Then, use the appropriate rules and techniques of partial differentiation, such as the product rule or the chain rule, to find the partial derivative.

3. What is the purpose of partial derivative problems in science?

In science, partial derivative problems are used to analyze how a system or process changes when one variable is altered while others are held constant. This is important in understanding the relationships between different variables and how they affect the overall behavior of a system.

4. Can you give an example of a real-world application of partial derivative problems?

One example of a real-world application of partial derivative problems is in economics, where they are used to analyze the marginal effect of a change in one variable on the overall behavior of a market. This can help businesses make decisions about pricing and production strategies.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial derivative problems?

While partial derivative problems are a useful tool, they have limitations in certain situations. For example, they may not accurately represent the behavior of a system if the variables are highly interdependent, or if the function being analyzed is not continuous or differentiable.