1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A particle confined to a space

1. Apr 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Neutrons and protons in atomic nuclei are confined within a region whose diameter is about
    10^-15m = 1 fm

a) At any given instant, how fast might an individual proton or neutron be moving?
    b) What is the approximate kinetic energy of a neutron that is localized to within such a region?
    c) What would be the corresponding energy of an electron localized to within such a region?

2. Relevant equations

uncertainty principle
    ΔxΔp ≥ h/(4π)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am having trouble visualizing how to go about the problem. I know I need to use the certainty prinicple in some way but I don't know how. I don't know if this is the right way to start but since we are confined to a sphere, would it be proper to apply the uncertainty principle in 3 directions?
    Δx*mΔv ≥ h/(4π)
    Δy*mΔv ≥ h/(4π)
    Δz*mΔv ≥ h/(4π)
    Solve for Δv for each direction and then use them to find the total magnitude.
    Or am I thinking about this wrong?

If I can understand this then all the parts to this question will be simple.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Approximations using the uncertainty principle are just that. Approximations. I would think you would be ok with doing it in one direction. That should give you a good enough estimate.

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3
    Ok so I will do everything in one dimension. Working with a proton(the work would be similar for a neutron)

a.)
    Δx*mΔv ≥ h/(4π)
    Δv ≥ h/(4π*m*Δx)
    Δv ≥ 6.626E-34/(4π*1.67E-27*1E-15)

So the minimum speed for a proton confined to that particular space will be
    = 31573672.2 m/s or 31573.6722 km/s or 31.5736722 Mm/s

b.)
    A proton(I know it asks for E of a neutron but if I can do this general calculation then a neutron won't be much different) will have a minimum kinetic energy of

E = (1/2)mv^2
    E = (1/2)(1.67E-27)(31573672.2)^2 = 8.324E-13 joules of energy

c.)
    Is the same stuff except I'm dealing with an electron.

Is what I have correct?

5. Apr 2, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, except you've only got 3 decimal places of accuracy in the proton mass and this is an approximate calculation anyway. So writing 31573672.2 m/s is kind of silly. Round it off. And is Mm/s really a unit?

6. Apr 4, 2012 #5
    Ok I'll round the number a bit since this is an approximate calculation. By the way, what prevents Mm/s from being a unit?

7. Apr 4, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean mega-meters/sec? I'm not saying it COULDN'T be a unit, but I've never seen it used. If you used it in a problem there's a pretty good chance it would be taken for millimeters/sec.

8. Apr 4, 2012 #7
    Yeah mega-meters/sec is what I meant by that. I've never seen it used like this either. I was really just playing with SI prefixes just for the hell of it. It does look cleaner though:

31500 km/s or 31.5*10^3 km/s
    vs
    31.5 Mm/s

It could be taken as millimeters too but generally that is written as mm not Mm.

9. Apr 4, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, I'd just stick with commonly used units. I don't see much usage of mega-meters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook