1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A particle in a box.

1. Apr 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is in a box of width L. Calculate the probability to find the particle in the region [L/4, 3L/4] when the particle is a) in the ground state b) in the first excited state.

2. Relevant equations

(2/L)sin(n*π*x/L)^2 dx is the probability in [x, x+dx]

3. The attempt at a solution

Integrating that gives me 2/L[x/2-[L/(4π)]sin(2n*π*x/L)], boundaries being L/4 and 3L/4. For a) n=1 and b) n=2, right? After I plug in the values, I get value greater than 1. Where have I gone wrong?

Hopefully this is readable, no LaTeX. :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The probability density is (2/L)sin²(nπx/L) for even n and (2/L)cos²(nπx/L) for odd n.

EDIT: Sorry, this is only if you take the boundaries of the box to be -L/2 and L/2.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  4. Apr 23, 2009 #3
    No, it's the same formula for all n!
    After integration i got 2/L[x/2-[L/(4π n)]sin(2n*π*x/L)]
    For n = 1 -> (2+π)/(2π)
    for n = 2 -> 1/2

5. Apr 23, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes sorry, I took the boundaries to be -L/2 and L/2.

6. Apr 24, 2009 #5
    Thanks for the replies, guys! I forgot the one n in my first post. I found out my error was in the easy stuff after the integration, I'd done a mistake in adding fractions. :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook