Particle P in Sphere: Find Force & Speed

In summary, the problem involves a particle moving on the inner surface of a spherical bowl at a constant speed. The task is to determine the magnitude of the force exerted by the surface of the bowl on the particle and the speed of the particle. The solution involves using conservation of energy and drawing a force diagram to find the normal force and centripetal acceleration. The normal force is essential in maintaining circular motion and its magnitude depends on the steepness of the slope. By following this analysis, the correct answers can be obtained.
AK2
this the problem
A particle P of mass M moves on the smooth inner surface of a fixed hollow
spherical bowl,centre O and inner radius r,describing a horizontal circle at constant speed.The centre C of this circle is at a depth r/3 vertically below O.Determine
(a)The magnitude of the force exerted by the surface of the sphere on P
(b)the speed of P
i know conservation of energy is involved but don't know how to go about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The particle is describing a uniform circular motion! Therefor there must be a central force acting on it. Draw the force diagram (gravity and normal), take the vectorial sum of the force ans you will see that it is so. (Finding the normal force will require that you use what you know about the geometry of a sphere and the information you are given about where the circle C is)

Use F=ma to find what the centripetal acceleration produced by this force is. I'm sure you know the relation btw the velocity of a particle in a uniform circular orbit and the centripetal acceleration is. Use that formula to find the speed.

Last edited:
thanks i will go on it rigth away.

uuuuuuummmmmmmmmm... I don't understand this problem anymore. You might as well disregard everything I said.

Help! :confused:

The bowl can only exert a force on the particle in a direction normal to its surface. The vertical component of this force must exactly balance gravity if the particle is not to accelerate vertically, and so since you know the direction of the force, this also determines its radial component. Then there is a certain speed the particle must travel for this radial force to balance the centrifugal force mv^2/r, so that the particle maintains circular motion.

AAAAaahh... I was certain the normal force was only allowed to "offer a reaction" to the component of the force perpendicular to the surface. But how the normal force really behaves is much less shyly. Instead, it pushes on the mass perpendicularly to the surface with a magnitude such that the other force is "anihilated".

The steeper the slope, the greater the normal force and the greater the centripetal acceleration and thus the greater the velocity needed to maintain circular motion. It makes sense.

Last edited:
thanks a lot . i followed ur analysis and i got rigth answers to the question.

1. What is Particle P in Sphere?

Particle P in Sphere is a theoretical concept in physics that involves a single particle moving inside a hollow sphere.

2. What is the force on Particle P in Sphere?

The force on Particle P in Sphere is determined by the interaction between the particle and the inner surface of the sphere, which is known as the normal force. This force is always perpendicular to the surface of the sphere and has a magnitude equal to the weight of the particle.

3. How do you calculate the force on Particle P in Sphere?

The force on Particle P in Sphere can be calculated using the formula F = mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the particle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the speed of Particle P in Sphere?

The speed of Particle P in Sphere is determined by the force acting on the particle and the mass of the particle. It can be calculated using the formula v = √(2F/m), where v is the speed, F is the force, and m is the mass of the particle.

5. How does the force and speed of Particle P in Sphere change over time?

The force and speed of Particle P in Sphere may change over time due to external forces acting on the particle, such as friction or air resistance. However, if there are no external forces, the force and speed of the particle will remain constant due to the conservation of energy and momentum principles.