1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A particle of rest mass m_0 and kinetic energy and sticks to a stationary particle wi

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of rest mass [itex]m_0[/itex] and kinetic energy [itex]2m_0c^2[/itex] and sticks to a stationary particle with rest mass [itex]2m_0[/itex]. Find the rest mass of the composite particle.

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of momentum and thus energy.

[itex] E_{bef} = E_r + E_k = E_{aft}[/itex] where Er is energy of rest particle

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]E = m_{01}c^2 + mv\gamma + m_oc^2 = m_{02}c^2[/itex]. The first half of the equation there is a kinetic part and a part at rest, the second half is only at rest.

I am thinking I am supposed to be substituting the questions given data into this equation and cancelling expressions but i am not sure how to proceed.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: A particle of rest mass m_0 and kinetic energy and sticks to a stationary particl

What are ##m_{01}##, ##m_{02}##, ##m_o## (not ##m_0##), and ##m## supposed to represent? None of those quantities appear in the problem statement.

Your equation doesn't make sense. You're adding energy to momentum ##\gamma mv##. That doesn't work out unit-wise. I take it v is supposed to be the speed of the first particle.

Think about this: After the two particles collide and stick together, is the composite particle at rest or not?

It's best if you stick to working with energy E, momentum p, and mass m rather than writing things in terms of ##\gamma## and speed v. It'll simplify the algebra.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook