1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Particle's Velocity

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle's velocity is described by the function [tex]v_x=kt^2 m/s[/tex], where k is a constant and t is in s. The particle's position at [tex]t_0[/tex]=0 is [tex]x_0[/tex] = -6.90 . At [tex]t_1[/tex]= 1.00, the particle is at [tex]x_0[/tex]= 8.70 .

Determine the units of k in terms of m and s.
    2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

So I really have no idea what this question is asking. I tried integrating the velocity equation then solving for c and eventually k getting a value of 46.8. It's online homework and it wouldn't take that, even if I added m/s to the end.

I am pretty sure what I tried isn't remotely close to what I am supposed to be doing. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Aren't you supposed to be finding the units instead of calculating any numerical values? What unit do you multiply by s^2, the unit of t^2, to get m/s, the unit of v?

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    Yeah, you are right. Although I am almost more confused now. I seriously have no idea what I am supposed to do or what the answer is supposed to look like. It's a first for me so I am completely dumbfounded. :rofl:

Am I just supposed to get rid of the t^2 so k is alone with m/s?

For some reason I am always stumped on these extremely easy problems. I don't get them. It's pretty sad.

5. Jan 24, 2010 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Here's an example: if k has the unit "s", kt^2 would have the unit s^3 (s * s^2 = s^3). If k has the unit "m", kt^2 would have the unit ms^2 (m * s^2 = ms^3). What unit, multiplied by s^2, gives m/s? You can treat the units the same way you treat algebraic variables.

6. Jan 24, 2010 #5
    m/s^3?

I think why I am so confused it because it already has m/s in the first part. Does that even matter?

7. Jan 24, 2010 #6

ideasrule

Homework Helper

That's just to tell you that v is in m/s. It really shouldn't be written like that; I can see why it would confuse the hell out of a lot of students.

But yes, m/s^3 is right.

8. Jan 24, 2010 #7
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. There is no way I would have figured that out on my own.

That original m/s was definately throwing me off. Since it almost seemed like it was already in m/s terms...almost.

Thanks again.

9. Jan 24, 2010 #8
    On a side note the next question was to figure out the value for k. Which I had correct from my original incorrect answer. So that makes me feel a bit better about it.:tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook