1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A particular SU(2) matrix

1. Nov 15, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I have a question that will probably turn out to be trivial. I have the following matrix:

$$
    U=\text{diag}(e^{2i\alpha},e^{-i\alpha},e^{-i\alpha}).
    $$

This seems to me as an SU(2) matrix in the adjoint representation since it's unitary and has determinant 1. Am I right?

If so, for a small value of [itex]\alpha[/itex] from what combination of the generators can I obtain it?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

SU(3). Which are your generators?

4. Nov 15, 2015 #3
    Oh you're right. Then my mistake was to try to find a combination of the J=1 generators of SU(2) while I should have looked for the SU(3) generators! Then I guess my question becomes even dumber: how do I distinguish an matrix belong to the adjoint of SU(2) from one belonging to the fundamental of SU(3)?

5. Nov 15, 2015 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I don't know the automorphisms ##su(2)##. They are in ##GL(3,ℂ)##, that's right.
    Have a look here. Just calculate it.

The fundamental group of ##SU(2,ℂ)## is ##SO(3,ℝ)## - as far as I can see - generated by the following rotations

[tex]\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}} {e^{it}}&{0}\\ {0}&{e^{-it}} \end{array}} \right] , \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}} {cos (t)}&{sin (t)}\\ {-sin (t)}&{cos (t)} \end{array}} \right] , \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}} {cos (t)}&{i * sin (t)}\\ {i *sin (t)}&{cos (t)} \end{array}} \right][/tex]

Here are further informations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook