What combination of generators can produce a particular SU(2) matrix?

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a matrix U that is given as U=diag(e^(2iα),e^(-iα),e^(-iα)) and its relation to the SU(2) and SU(3) groups. The participants question whether U belongs to the adjoint representation of SU(2) and how to distinguish between matrices belonging to the adjoint of SU(2) and the fundamental of SU(3). The conversation concludes with a reference to the fundamental group of SU(2,ℂ) and its generators.
Einj
Hello everyone,
I have a question that will probably turn out to be trivial. I have the following matrix:

$$
U=\text{diag}(e^{2i\alpha},e^{-i\alpha},e^{-i\alpha}).
$$

This seems to me as an SU(2) matrix in the adjoint representation since it's unitary and has determinant 1. Am I right?

If so, for a small value of [itex]\alpha[/itex] from what combination of the generators can I obtain it?Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oh you're right. Then my mistake was to try to find a combination of the J=1 generators of SU(2) while I should have looked for the SU(3) generators! Then I guess my question becomes even dumber: how do I distinguish an matrix belong to the adjoint of SU(2) from one belonging to the fundamental of SU(3)?

I don't know the automorphisms ##su(2)##. They are in ##GL(3,ℂ)##, that's right.
Have a look here. Just calculate it.

The fundamental group of ##SU(2,ℂ)## is ##SO(3,ℝ)## - as far as I can see - generated by the following rotations

[tex]\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}} {e^{it}}&{0}\\ {0}&{e^{-it}} \end{array}} \right] , \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}} {cos (t)}&{sin (t)}\\ {-sin (t)}&{cos (t)} \end{array}} \right] , \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}} {cos (t)}&{i * sin (t)}\\ {i *sin (t)}&{cos (t)} \end{array}} \right][/tex]

Here are further informations.

1. What is a SU(2) matrix?

A SU(2) matrix is a 2x2 unitary matrix with a determinant of 1. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics and describes the rotation of spin-1/2 particles.

2. How is a SU(2) matrix represented?

A SU(2) matrix can be represented in several ways, including using the four real parameters in the special unitary group SU(2) or using the three Euler angles.

3. What is the significance of SU(2) matrices in physics?

SU(2) matrices are significant in physics because they are the fundamental representation of the rotation group in three dimensions. They are also used to describe the behavior of elementary particles, such as spin-1/2 particles.

4. Can SU(2) matrices be used to describe other physical systems?

Yes, SU(2) matrices can be used to describe other physical systems besides spin-1/2 particles. They can also represent the behavior of two-state quantum systems, such as entangled qubits in quantum computing.

5. How are SU(2) matrices related to other mathematical concepts?

SU(2) matrices are closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as quaternions and the special unitary group SU(n). They are also connected to the theory of Lie algebras and Lie groups, which have applications in many areas of mathematics and physics.