M :)Dividing by 7: A Pattern Revealed

• Thread starter JPC
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of a pattern in the division of an integer n by 7. The pattern involves repeating patterns and permutations of the numbers 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, and 8. The conversation also mentions the significance of this pattern, which is known as CAROUSEL NUMBERS and can be used to calculate numbers of the type '1/prime' without a calculator or division. The conversation also touches on the topic of vedic mathematics and the potential use of this property in mental arithmetic.
JPC
I realized a pattern in the division of an integer n by 7.

the repeating patterns :
1/7 : 142857
2/7 : 285714
3/7 : 428571
4/7 : 571428
5/7 : 714285
6/7 : 857142

in each one, the are just permutations of the numbers : 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8

from left to right :
: +1, +2, +1, +2, +1

Is there a significance to this ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
yes, there is! you have discovered what are called CAROUSEL NUMBERS...

these are numbers such as 142857...and many more, with the amazing property that each multiple is cyclic permutation of the nuumber itself..

these numbers are generated in the following way..

take a prime p...and find the repeating decimal of 1/p...if that contains (p-1) digits, then the repeating decimal is a carousel number.

for example 1/7 = 0.142857... contains 6 decimals, meaning 142857 is a carousel number

similarly 1/13 = 0.0588235294117467, and so on contains 16 digits...this means that it too is a carousel number...try multiplying it with numbers from 1 to 16 and see what u get...note the importance of the zero in the beginning!

praharmitra said:
similarly 1/13 = 0.0588235294117467, and so on contains 16 digits...this means that it too is a carousel number...try multiplying it with numbers from 1 to 16 and see what u get...note the importance of the zero in the beginning!

you mean 1/17 and not 1/13 ?

i never realized there was a pattern for all numbers of the type ' 1 / prime'
I found out because of a program that calculates as many decimals i want that i made

but, is there a way to use this property to calculate a number of the the type ' 1 / prime'
for example : ''1/23' without a calculator, and without doing a a division

JPC said:
you mean 1/17 and not 1/13 ?

i never realized there was a pattern for all numbers of the type ' 1 / prime'
I found out because of a program that calculates as many decimals i want that i made

but, is there a way to use this property to calculate a number of the the type ' 1 / prime'

ya well, sorry...i mean 1/17...

however, be sure that not all primes have that property...only some...

see, 1/11 = 0.09090909...so it doesn't have 10 repeating decimals...

without a calc?? no clue..but will think about it

like for example

i see that all the numbers are following an order :
1 - > 4 -> 2 - > 8 - > 5 - > 7 -> come back to 1 -> ect
its just the starting number that changes

and the starting number is in order from lowest to bigest : 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8

So, for example, if you know 1/7, you can determine any n/7 very fast

Heh, 5 is a carousel number... In theroy:

[tex]1/2[/tex] = 0.5
0.5*10^(2-1) = 5
5*n=5

n=an integer [tex]\geq[/tex]1, but <2.
As the only integer can be 1, then 5 is a carousel number because it "rearranges" to make a number that uses the same numbers:

5*1=5

But then again, it doesn't recurr, so is it a carousel number?

praharmitra said:
yes, there is! you have discovered what are called CAROUSEL NUMBERS...

these are numbers such as 142857...and many more, with the amazing property that each multiple is cyclic permutation of the nuumber itself..

Praharmitra,

I didn't know that!

(Or, if I did, I'd completely forgotten aboput them, and that amounts to the same thing.)

Thanks for telling us about them.

If, perchance, I did know about them, I sure didn't know as much as is reported in the following link.

http://mathforum.org/orlando/klatt.orlando.html

According to this link, there are all kinds of inteeresting open questions about them. (The link claims they are open; I think they are interesting.)

DJ

Kaimyn said:
Heh, 5 is a carousel number... In theroy:

[tex]1/2[/tex] = 0.5
0.5*10^(2-1) = 5
5*n=5

n=an integer [tex]\geq[/tex]1, but <2.
As the only integer can be 1, then 5 is a carousel number because it "rearranges" to make a number that uses the same numbers:

5*1=5

But then again, it doesn't recurr, so is it a carousel number?

Not according to the following link,

http://mathforum.org/orlando/klatt.orlando.html

vedic mathematics

JPC said:

Hi JPC! :smile:

There are several fun books on vedic mathematics which will give you a simple mental arithmetic way of doing it. :smile:

do you have the names ?

JPC said:
do you have the names ?

google on vedic mathematics. you'll find a westerner who did a similar thing. it appears to me that the westerner's exposition is easier to understand. unless you want to learn a lot of quotes from ancient vedic literature.

hey deaconjohn, that was a very informative link...thnx...

i myself did some research on carousel numbers, trying to prove, atleast by example that every number can be written as "partial carousel number"(a word made up by me) by adding a few zeros before it...and multiplying by appropriate numbers.

praharmitra said:
hey deaconjohn, that was a very informative link...thnx...
You're welcome. It's amazing how minor variations in a google search - even including the specific IP address from which you search - can vastly influence the results.
i myself did some research on carousel numbers, trying to prove, atleast by example that every number can be written as "partial carousel number"(a word made up by me) by adding a few zeros before it...and multiplying by appropriate numbers.
Hey. write it up so we PhysicForum-ites can see it!

DeaconJohn said:
google on vedic mathematics. you'll find a westerner who did a similar thing. it appears to me that the westerner's exposition is easier to understand. unless you want to learn a lot of quotes from ancient vedic literature.
Trachtenberg?

Gokul43201 said:
Trachtenberg?

Yeah, That's it. DJ

1. What is the pattern in division when dividing by 7?

The pattern in division when dividing by 7 is that the remainder will always be either 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6. This is because when dividing by 7, the number can be divided evenly into groups of 7 with a remainder of 0, or there will be a remainder of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.

2. How does this pattern affect the result of division?

This pattern affects the result of division by limiting the possible remainders to only 7 options. This means that the remainder will always be within a small range, making it easier to predict and calculate the result of division by 7.

3. Can this pattern be applied to larger numbers?

Yes, this pattern can be applied to larger numbers. For example, when dividing a large number by 7, you can first divide the number into smaller groups of 7 and then add up the remainders to find the total remainder. This is known as the "long division" method for dividing by 7.

4. Are there any exceptions to this pattern?

Yes, there are exceptions to this pattern. When dividing a number by 7, if the number is a multiple of 7, the remainder will be 0. However, if the number is not a multiple of 7, the remainder will always be one of the remaining 6 options (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6).

5. How can this pattern be useful in real-life applications?

This pattern can be useful in real-life applications such as calculating time and distance. For example, if you know the average speed of a car in miles per hour, you can use this pattern to quickly estimate how many miles the car will travel in a given number of hours by dividing the number of hours by 7 and using the remainder to adjust the estimated distance.