1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A perfect square trinomial stumped.

1. Feb 6, 2006 #1
    ok, I'm pretty sure this is ridiculously simple, but I am stumped by this question..

What value of k would make 25x^2 - 60xy + ky^2 a perfect square trinomial?

I just don't know where to begin in order to find k. :uhh:

Any help would be much appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #2
    Ok well starting with a binomial (A + B)
    then (A + B)2 = (A + B)(A + B) = A2 + AB + AB + B2

which is the same as

A2 + 2AB + B2

Which would be a perfect square trinomial so do you think you could right the trinomial in question in this form for some value of k?
  4. Feb 6, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just a tiny bit more help: as d leet said, a perfect square must be of the form (A+ B)2= A2+ 2AB+ B2.
    Your formula is 25x2- 60xy+ ky2. That means you must have A2= 25x2, 2AB= -60xy and B2= ky2. From the first equation it should be obvious what A. Use that in the second equation to determine B and then use the third equation to find k.
  5. Feb 6, 2006 #4
    Easy method - This is a perfect square. So discriminant must be 0. Put y = 1, so that this becomes a quadratic in x if you don't understand to usewhat I am talking about in the first statement. And I don't think this is a bad method.
    So you would get 60^2 = 4*25*k.
    Moreover here the value of y does not matter if you look deep. The co-efficient of first power of x is 60y and the constant is ky^2
    So (60y)^2 = 4*25*k*y^2.
  6. Feb 6, 2006 #5
    Ah! Thank You Guys! I see how it works now! :rolleyes:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?