What is the latest on the periodic table of particles?

In summary, the periodic table of particles is still in the works, but does not seem to hold any evidence of a periodic signal yet.
misogynisticfeminist
I've heard that there's a periodic tables of particles, I've searched the net but have yielded little results. Is it still in the works? or is it out yet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Call it periodic table is more like a joke, considering the few numbers of particles. There are 3 generations, would you say you definitely have observed a periodic signal in only 3 periods ? Besides, when we talk about Mendeleiev periodic table, we know where the structure comes from, we understand what is meant here by periodic. The reason why the atomic properties are periodic is traced back to the electronic strucure of atoms. In the case of particles, we contemplate 3 generations, without (yet) having found a satisfactory reason for those 3 generations. I hope you can find useful information here :
http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/vvc/theory/fundamental.html

This is the clearest statement by an accepted authority, that explains current beliefs that I have found to date.

The fundamental particles
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/hienergy/probing_structure.html

Three and only three?
It is not yet known why there should be successive "families" or "generations" of fundamental particles in this way. The fact that both the leptons and the quarks are laid out in a repeating structure, suggests to some that these particles may themselves be composite, made up of yet smaller entities the way that nuclei are made up of protons and neutrons, while protons and neutrons are made up of quarks.
To date there is no evidence for this. A 1996 suggestion of quark structure by the CDF collaboration, discoverers of the top quark, has more recently appeared to be something more prosaic.
There do seem to be only three generations

I am sorry I cannot be more helpful as this is my speciality, but amatuer theories are not permitted on this PF. My work has been debated by two colleges of higher education, one scientific debating group and I once received a correction from a leading astrophysicist who's work I had quoted; but I cannot get it peer reviewed. These are problems all researchers have to face, but the struggle is its own reward.
Enjoy your research
elas

Last edited by a moderator:
In 1961 Gell-Mann classified hadrons in a theory called Eightfold Way. Perhaps is what you re searching
http://zyx.org/EIGHTFOLD.html
"Eightfold Way,
classification of subatomic particles known as hadrons into groups on the basis of their symmetrical properties, the number of members of each group being 1, 8 (most frequently), 10, or 27."

This?

This is a simplified one, with only a few, a table of particles... standard model...

_39882466_standard_model2_416.gif

Scroll down when taken to http://wc0.worldcrossing.com/WebX?50@87.uWONcZfwCDg.0@.1ddf905d and you will find a good explanation and a couple of links that will really help.

1. What is a periodic table of particles?

A periodic table of particles is a graphical representation of all the known particles in the universe. It is organized in a grid-like structure with each row and column representing different properties of particles such as mass, charge, and spin.

2. How is a periodic table of particles different from the traditional periodic table of elements?

The traditional periodic table of elements only includes atoms of different elements, while a periodic table of particles includes all known subatomic particles, including protons, neutrons, electrons, and more. It also includes particles that are not found in nature but are created in particle accelerators.

3. Who created the periodic table of particles?

The periodic table of particles was created by a team of scientists at CERN, including Murray Gell-Mann and George Zweig, in the 1960s. This team was studying the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and came up with the idea of organizing them in a table.

4. How does the periodic table of particles help scientists?

The periodic table of particles helps scientists understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and their interactions. By organizing particles in a table, scientists can easily identify patterns and relationships between particles, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements in physics.

5. Are there any gaps in the periodic table of particles?

Yes, there are still many particles that have not been discovered or fully understood, so the periodic table of particles is constantly evolving. Scientists are continually conducting experiments to discover new particles and update the table accordingly.