Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A periodic table of particles

1. Aug 20, 2004 #1
    I've heard that there's a periodic tables of particles, I've searched the net but have yielded little results. Is it still in the works? or is it out yet?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2004 #2
    Call it periodic table is more like a joke, considering the few numbers of particles. There are 3 generations, would you say you definitely have observed a periodic signal in only 3 periods ? Besides, when we talk about Mendeleiev periodic table, we know where the structure comes from, we understand what is meant here by periodic. The reason why the atomic properties are periodic is traced back to the electronic strucure of atoms. In the case of particles, we contemplate 3 generations, without (yet) having found a satisfactory reason for those 3 generations. I hope you can find useful information here :
  4. Aug 25, 2004 #3
    This is the clearest statement by an accepted authority, that explains current beliefs that I have found to date.

The fundamental particles

Three and only three?
    It is not yet known why there should be successive "families" or "generations" of fundamental particles in this way. The fact that both the leptons and the quarks are laid out in a repeating structure, suggests to some that these particles may themselves be composite, made up of yet smaller entities the way that nuclei are made up of protons and neutrons, while protons and neutrons are made up of quarks.
    To date there is no evidence for this. A 1996 suggestion of quark structure by the CDF collaboration, discoverers of the top quark, has more recently appeared to be something more prosaic.
    There do seem to be only three generations

I am sorry I cannot be more helpful as this is my speciality, but amatuer theories are not permitted on this PF. My work has been debated by two colleges of higher education, one scientific debating group and I once recieved a correction from a leading astrophysicist who's work I had quoted; but I cannot get it peer reviewed. These are problems all researchers have to face, but the struggle is its own reward.
    Enjoy your research
  5. Aug 26, 2004 #4
    In 1961 Gell-Mann classified hadrons in a theory called Eightfold Way. Perhaps is what you re searching
    "Eightfold Way,
    classification of subatomic particles known as hadrons into groups on the basis of their symmetrical properties, the number of members of each group being 1, 8 (most frequently), 10, or 27."
  6. Aug 30, 2004 #5

This is a simplified one, with only a few, a table of particles... standard model...

7. Aug 31, 2004 #6
    Scroll down when taken to site and you will find a good explanation and a couple of links that will really help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?