Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A perpetual riddle for sure

1. Oct 21, 2003 #1
    Hi guys,
    Attached is a diagram design in principle i drew some time ago

It's pretty self explanitory

I was wondering if some one can tell my why it is invalid and doesn't work.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps I need some explanation after all. Your picture looks completely symmetric. I can so no reason why either ring should turn. The inner ring is already resting on a point below its center of gravity, so there is no net gravitational force.
    The outer ring is symmetric about the inner so there is no net magnetic force.
    On your picture you have a section that is NOT symmetric labeled "Horizon of greatest attraction". Why is that region not symmetric about the two rings?
  4. Oct 21, 2003 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

'Tis indeed a perpetual riddle, 'cos I'll be damned if I can figure out what you're trying to say Scott
  5. Oct 21, 2003 #4
    The rimgs are in fact cylinders that are poled magbets as shown.

The join of the two rings offers a greater attraction than the top of the rings there fore the bottom of the rings is attracted more strongly to the large attractor (magnet) to the right thus rotation is possible.
  6. Oct 21, 2003 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem is the the bottom of the rings aren't attracted more strongly to the exterior magnet. Your assumption that they are is where you are making your mistake.
  7. Oct 22, 2003 #6
    so when two magnets are joined the combined strength is not more than when apart?
  8. Oct 22, 2003 #7

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?