Calculating Normal Forces in a Push-Up Position

• Thread starter pmd28
  • Start date
In summary, the person is doing push-ups and the floor is exerting a normal force on each hand and each foot.
pmd28

Homework Statement

a person (weight W = 590 N, L1 = 0.830 m, L2 = 0.409 m) doing push-ups. Find the normal force exerted by the floor on each hand and each foot, assuming that the person holds this position.

Homework Equations

Xcg= (W1X1 + W2X2)/(W1+W2)
τ=Fl

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving for W1 in terms of W2 but that got me no where. I can't figure out how to resolve two varibles with one equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are L1, L2, X1, X2? A diagram would help.

pmd28 said:

Homework Statement

a person (weight W = 590 N, L1 = 0.830 m, L2 = 0.409 m) doing push-ups. Find the normal force exerted by the floor on each hand and each foot, assuming that the person holds this position.

Homework Equations

Xcg= (W1X1 + W2X2)/(W1+W2)
τ=Fl

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving for W1 in terms of W2 but that got me no where. I can't figure out how to resolve two varibles with one equation.
I am assuming that the distances L1 and L2 represent the distances from the persons cg and feet, and cg and hands, respectively??

PhanthomJay said:
I am assuming that the distances L1 and L2 represent the distances from the persons cg and feet, and cg and hands, respectively??

I had to draw out my own daigram. L1 is the distance from the feet to the cg, L2 is the distance from cg to the hand and X1 and X2 are just how I denoted distance in my notes, they're not given in the equations

So yes johnny you are correct.

W=W1+W2
Keep in mind that each hand also only caries half of W2.

Yea I caught on to the fact that it said per hand. And how does that play into the center of gravity forumla.

Let the center of gravity be at 0 and have one L be positive and one be negative. You now have two equations with two unknowns. Have fun with the algebra!

would my F in torque be W=509?

pmd28 said:
would my F in torque be W=509?
Yes, that would be just one of the forces creating torque about your chosen point, provided that your chosen point is not the cg, in which case it creates no torque. You can choose any point you want to solve for torques about that point; the sum of the torques of all forces about that point, and the sum of all forces, must be zero for the equilibrium condition.

OK I solved it. Thanks :)

1. How does a person do a pushup?

A person doing a pushup starts by lying facedown on the ground with their hands shoulder-width apart and their toes touching the ground. They then push their body up using their arms and core muscles until their arms are fully extended. Finally, they lower their body back down until their chest touches the ground, and repeat the motion.

2. What muscles does a pushup work?

A pushup primarily works the chest, shoulders, triceps, and core muscles. It also engages the back, biceps, and legs to a lesser extent.

3. How many pushups should a person do in a set?

The number of pushups a person should do in a set depends on their fitness level and goals. Generally, beginners can start with 10-15 pushups per set and work their way up to 20-30. Advanced individuals may be able to do 50 or more pushups in a set.

4. Can pushups help build muscle?

Yes, pushups can help build muscle, especially in the chest, shoulders, and triceps. However, for significant muscle growth, it is important to incorporate a variety of exercises and to continually challenge the muscles with increasing intensity and resistance.

5. Are pushups a good exercise for everyone?

Pushups can be a beneficial exercise for most people, but it may not be suitable for everyone. People with wrist, shoulder, or back injuries or conditions may need to modify the exercise or avoid it altogether. It is always recommended to consult with a doctor or certified personal trainer before starting any new exercise routine.