1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A person pushes on a mower ?

1. Sep 20, 2004 #1
    Here is the question i have. I got the first two no prob. But ihave no idea how i got the third answer. The answers shown are all correct. So if anyone can explain how to get the third answer, thanks everyone

A person pushes a 17.0 kg lawn mower at constant speed with a force of 71.0 N directed along the handle, which is at an angle of = 46.0° to the horizontal

Calculate the horizontal retarding force on the mower = 49.3 N

Calculate the normal force exerted vertically upward on the mower by the ground =218

Calculate the force the person must exert on the lawn mower to accelerate it from rest to 1.1 m/s in 2.0 seconds (assuming the same retarding force).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2004 #2
    Since the mover moves in the horizontal direction only, we will consider the x-components only. Left direction : Negative; Right direction: Positive.
    &Newton's\ 2nd\ Law:\\
    &\sum \vec{F}=m\vec{a}\\
    &|\vec{F}|cos46^0 + (-49.3)=17.0*(\frac{1.1-0}{2.0})\\
    &|\vec{F}|=84.4\ N\\

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?