• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

A philosophy friendly discipline?

As a past philosophy major myself. I think ANY of the social sciences would be a great transition. If you've taken any type of logic, epistemology and philosophy of mind classes they would be a great help. Those help you develop theories and break down everything to an elemental level.
My difficulties are diagrams of any type, formal logic, mathematics etc. This leaves me with Sociology, History and English. None of which interests me the least.

In Philosophy, I struggle with the Fitch style calculus. I am like a monkey reading the book. You can put me on an island for 2000 years with it, and I would still fail at any attempt to demonstrate logical proofs.

I almost learned how to use a truth table functionally, but not fully, and I forgot it by now.

Last edited:
Check out HPS.
My country does not offer a History and Philosophy discipline.

Pleonasm, with broad strokes you have eliminated most of what working people do. Essentially, you're left with reading, writing, manual labor, and talking to people. I don't mean to be rude, but even the very best, exciting careers are filled with hard work doing things that you refuse to deal with (for whatever reason). It almost sounds like you have some sort of learning disability. However, nobody will accept that as an excuse. Many brilliant individuals had learning disabilities of some sort. Nothing annoys people more than sitting around saying woe is me.

You have seen suggestions, but I do not believe you are ready to entertain any of them. The world does not exist to provide you a living and amusement. You have to find those things on your own. Only then will you truly know what you can do, what you like, and what your limits are. Find something to do, even if you think you might not like it and just try it. Good Luck!

Likes Porthos, Locrian, TheGeometrist and 1 other person
People in here disputing serious IQ tests, are clearly wrong. Culture fair non verbal tests are highly correlated with mathematical proficiency. The various ones I've done all yielded the result of around 88 IQ. So instead of pretending the test works for everybody besides me (...) perhaps they should instead reconcider their position. Being verbal is culturally biased results and not an indicator of anything.

I don't believe any non disabled person could manage Fitch calculus in Philosophy. There are some academic disciplines with no math, but lacking job prospects and not to be taken seriously. So I disagree that I've eliminated the entire academic world.