Photon Spin: 1 vs 2 - Answers for Alex

In summary, photons have a spin of 1, which can be determined from the linear polarization and vector nature of electromagnetic waves. Gravitons, on the other hand, are spin 2 particles that can be identified by the transverse shear tensor and alternate stretching and compression characteristic of gravitational waves.
afcarval
Dear all,

Can you please enlighten me about the spin of photons?

How can you tell if it is spin 1 or 2 ?

Thanks,
Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
1 since it transforms as a vector under lorentz transformations (or rather the four potential transforms as a vector)

Dear ansgar,

Can you explain the detection and nature of the four potential?

"it" is the "four potential" that transforms as vector under Lorentz transformations?

The spin is 1 because the vector is a tensor of order 1?

Thanks,
Alex

afcarval said:
Dear ansgar,

Can you explain the detection and nature of the four potential?

"it" is the "four potential" that transforms as vector under Lorentz transformations?

The spin is 1 because the vector is a tensor of order 1?

Thanks,
Alex

yes vector = tensor rank 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_four-potential

Use google mate

Dear ansgar,

Thank you for your reply.

What kind of tensor of rank 2 can you expect after a Lorentz transformation?

Is the "four-potential" enough to describe the signals detected?

cheers mate,
Alex

afcarval said:
Is the "four-potential" enough to describe the signals detected?

Assuming by "the signals" you mean the electric and magnetic fields, then it's more than enough (gauge freedom).

Dear sheaf,

Thank you for your kind reply.
So the "four-potential" detects electric and magnetic fields.
The matrix consider the electric and magnetic fields has independent signals?
Is the magnetic field independent of the magnetic field?

Cheers,
Alex

you mean

Is the ELECTRIC field independent of the magnetic field?

no you can see that from the very definition of E and B ...

Dear ansgar,

yes, I meant: Is the electric field independent of the magnetic field?
thank you!

cheers mate,
Alex

Afcarval, what's your background in physics. I get the impression that these answers aren't pitched at the level you're expecting.

Dear Vanadium 50,

In my degree I had some physics, in my master too and in my PhD also... but not specific in physics. Only a course in Quantum Monte Carlo...

I had no expection about this forum pitch.

My basic question: can you detect one photon with spin 2? Why?

Thanks!
Alex

afcarval said:
Dear Vanadium 50,

In my degree I had some physics, in my master too and in my PhD also... but not specific in physics. Only a course in Quantum Monte Carlo...

I had no expection about this forum pitch.

My basic question: can you detect one photon with spin 2? Why?

Thanks!
Alex

there is no such thing so how can you detect it?

Dear ansgar,

So you are telling me that by definition is not a photon?

But can you model the response in order to have a photon with spin 2?

Another way to put the question. Can you have a particule with spin 2 without electromagnetic perturbation?

Why?

Thanks,
Alex

you can detect photons with a combined angular momentum and spin and parity as you want, that is just the multipole expansion..

Dear ansgar,

Can you explain better?

You are telling me that: if you want, you can detect a spin 2 for photons?

Thanks,
Alex

you have not defined properly what you mean with all of this. photons can have angular momentum J which is the sum of L and S

I can not explain better since what you really need is to define what and why you are asking this for and a couple of textbooks

Dear ansgar,

One last question.
In the detector and in the signal analysis can you tell the difference between a photon with spin 2 and a graviton?

Cheers mate,
Alex

I kknow that there was some mumbo jumob behind all of this

gravitions does not interact electromagnetically

I am not your mate

Dear ansgar,

Mumbo jumob? They are simple questions...

The question:
Can you really have a particule with spin 2 without electromagnetic perturbation?
Can you explain why?

Or are they dogmas?

Can I google it?

cheers mate,
Alex

afcarval said:
Can you really have a particule with spin 2 without electromagnetic perturbation?

It seems that at some level you can model gravitons seem to be modeled by spin 2 particles.

Can you explain why?

Not really.

Or are they dogmas?

Observations. Some particles we see existing. Some particles we don't.

Dear Twofish-quant,

Unfortunately I can not understand:
"It seems that at some level you can model gravitons seem to be modeled by spin 2 particles."

Can you explain? please.

Thanks,
Alex

afcarval said:
Dear ansgar,

Mumbo jumob? They are simple questions...

The question:
Can you explain why?

Or are they dogmas?

Can I google it?

cheers mate,
Alex

PARTICLES

yes of course you can, just propose a tensor field of rank 2 and quantize it

Dear ansgar,

Dirac did propose something like that...

But then you have the other question.

If you want, can you detect a "defined" photon with spin 2?

Thanks,
Alex

afcarval said:
Dear ansgar,

Dirac did propose something like that...

But then you have the other question.

If you want, can you detect a "defined" photon with spin 2?

Thanks,
Alex

defined photon.. what?

Dear ansgar,

0k, fair enough.

Can I rephrase?

If you want, can you detect a bosonic particle with spin 2?

Thanks,
Alex

a spin 2 particle IS a boson

are you still talking about intrinsic angular momentum?

Some additional information... Angular momentum in photons was discovered in the 1930's by Beth. After that selection rules in atomic transitions showed what the allowed angular momentum of photons were. Those should both be pretty google-able if you don't have texts in front of you.

Last edited:
Dear all,

Thank you for your kind replies.

Spin 1 is 1 by definition of the unit.

All the best wishes,
Alex

I believe someone told me once that if there exists an elementary/fundamental spin 2 particle, it must be a graviton.

Bottom line, on both experimental and theoretical grounds, photons have spin 1. Anything that has a spin other than 1 cannot be a photon.

The hypothesis is the change caused by interference in the absorption of photons ...
Spin 2?

afcarval,

Evidence that photons have spin 1 comes from the nature of electromagnetic waves. EM waves have a linear polarization, and their effects can described by a vector E perpendicular to the wave. Regarding the source, they can be emitted from a dipole antenna. All of these are characteristic of a spin-1 particle.

By contrast, gravitons (assuming they exist) are spin 2 particles. Gravitational waves would have a much different character. Instead of a transverse vector E they would need to be described by a transverse shear tensor. That is, alternate stretching and compression in both directions perpendicular to the wave. Likewise, the source of the wave would need to be quadrupole. Spin 2 waves could not be emitted by a dipole antenna, since they are quadrupole in nature.

1. What is photon spin and why is it important?

Photon spin is a fundamental property of a photon, which is a type of elementary particle that makes up light. It refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a photon, which can either be 1 or 2. This property is important because it helps us understand the behavior of light and its interactions with matter.

2. How do we determine the spin of a photon?

The spin of a photon can be determined through experiments and calculations. One way is through the measurement of its polarization, which is the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields that make up a photon. A photon with a spin of 1 will have a linear polarization, while a photon with a spin of 2 will have a circular polarization.

3. What is the significance of the difference between photon spin 1 and 2?

The difference between photon spin 1 and 2 is significant because it affects the behavior of light. For example, photons with a spin of 1 can be absorbed and emitted by atoms, while photons with a spin of 2 cannot. This difference also has implications in quantum mechanics and the study of subatomic particles.

4. Can a photon have a spin other than 1 or 2?

No, a photon can only have a spin of 1 or 2. This is because photons are considered to be elementary particles, meaning they cannot be broken down into smaller components. The spin of a particle is an intrinsic property and cannot be changed.

5. How does the spin of a photon relate to its energy?

The spin of a photon is related to its energy through the spin-energy relationship, which states that the spin of a particle is directly proportional to its energy. This means that a photon with a spin of 2 will have twice the energy of a photon with a spin of 1.