Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A photon’s origin of motion

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    Now I know light motion is consistence from any frame of reference and can’t accelerate since it is mass less and lacks momentum. So the speed of light is always c. What about the point where light started? So does that imply that the speed of light was c at the point it was starting? That means it was moving at point in which it started which is confusing to me. That means it didn’t “start” moving since that would imply it started at a certain point and then started to travel at c or accelerated, which is wrong. I’m probably looking at this wrong so I need explanations.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

A photon exists at no other speed but C. The instant it is created, it is moving at C. No acceleration.
  4. Nov 20, 2008 #3
    I know that but it the symmetry of the incident sounds strange that it was moving at C at the point in spacetime it was created. That means that it was always at C and there is no start to its motion by rather it was always in motion. How can something be in motion without anything causing it to start moving? I know about inertia but all objects started at some point where it moved faster.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?