A physicist and engineer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between physicists and engineers, specifically where they may lag behind or excel in certain areas. It is concluded that engineers may be the butt of more jokes, but when it comes to holding their liquor, physicists may fall behind. The conversation also includes a playful challenge between a physicist and engineer to a beer-swilling competition.
solace28
Where does a physicist lag behind a engineer or vice versa? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In paycheck...

In the ability to hold their liquor.

(I love these joke threads)

In which category is the butt of more jokes.

Aggie jokes aside, it appears to me to be about even. Add Aggie jokes to the mix and engineers win hands-down with regard to who is the butt of more jokes.

(Like berkeman, I too love these joke threads)

solace28 said:
Where does a physicist lag behind a engineer or vice versa? :)

In a plaster wall after the engineer has drilled a 1-1/8" hole and inserted a lead anchor.

solace28 said:
Where does a physicist lag behind a engineer? :)

In a dictionary...

Chi Meson said:
In a plaster wall after the engineer has drilled a 1-1/8" hole and inserted a lead anchor.

Good lordy what is the engineer going to hang, the physicist?:wink:

edward said:
Good lordy what is the engineer going to hang, the physicist?:wink:

[PLAIN]http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/71327/Lag_screw_shield.jpg[ATTACH=full]197010[/ATTACH] [Broken]
"lag" bolt?

Attachments

• l_screw_1a.jpg
    l_screw_1a.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
In the ability to hold their liquor.

(I love these joke threads)

LIES AND CONJECTURE GOOD SIR!

I challenge thee to uphold thy statement in the ancient art of beer swilling.

Under the assumption that you are an engineer

:tongue2:

Chi Meson said:
"lag" bolt?

Walked right into that one didn't he?

Great thread.

Norman said:
LIES AND CONJECTURE GOOD SIR!

I challenge thee to uphold thy statement in the ancient art of beer swilling.

Under the assumption that you are an engineer

:tongue2:

I'd accept, but I see by your profile that you are not only a Physicist, but Irish. I humbly walk away from that competition. :blushing:

berkeman said:
I'd accept, but I see by your profile that you are not only a Physicist, but Irish. I humbly walk away from that competition. :blushing:

But I'm only part Irish (the other part is mainly German :biggrin:)...

There is also the issue of 3000 miles, 2 mountain ranges, and convincing my wife to let me swill beer in Cali to uphold the honor of my noble profession...

Though maybe a virtual competition...

Norman said:
Though maybe a virtual competition...

I'm too skeered. :redface:

Still, tomorrow night is New Year's Eve. :smile:

If you ever want to finish a project you have have to kill the engineer.

If you ever want to start it, you have to kill the physicist.

1. What is the difference between a physicist and an engineer?

A physicist studies the fundamental principles and laws that govern the natural world, while an engineer applies these principles to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. Can a physicist also work as an engineer?

Yes, a physicist can work as an engineer if they have the necessary skills and knowledge in a specific engineering field. However, they may need additional training and experience in engineering to excel in this role.

3. What skills do physicists and engineers have in common?

Both physicists and engineers possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills. They also have a solid grasp of mathematics and are able to think critically and creatively to come up with innovative solutions.

4. Do physicists and engineers use the same tools and equipment?

While there may be some overlap in the tools and equipment used by physicists and engineers, they often have different needs and requirements for their work. For example, physicists may use specialized equipment such as particle accelerators, while engineers may use computer-aided design (CAD) software.

5. What career opportunities are available for physicists and engineers?

Both physicists and engineers have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as research, technology, energy, aerospace, and more. They can also work in academia, government agencies, and consulting firms.