Is There a Physics Equivalent to Math-Atlas.org?

It gives a clear overview of all the different areas of physics and helps me understand how they are related. In summary, a website similar to math-atlas.org for physics would be a useful tool for both myself and others looking to explore the field.
Dragutin
Hello everyone.

I have been a lurker for a while and i finally decided to join the forum.
So here's my question: "Is there anything similar to math-atlas.org?"
For those of you that don't know Math-Atlas is a website that tries to pin down all of the mathematical branches and present them in a simple format - in this case an atlas.
But i was wondering, is there anything similar for physics?
It would be really useful for me (and other people as well) to have such a thing

Physics news on Phys.org
Dragutin said:
Hello everyone.

For those of you that don't know Math-Atlas is a website that tries to pin down all of the mathematical branches and present them in a simple format - in this case an atlas.
It would be really useful for me (and other people as well) to have such a thing
What do you mean (math-atlas.org is outdated)? If you google images for "physics+maps" you'll find plenty of them.

fresh_42 said:
What do you mean (math-atlas.org is outdated)? If you google images for "physics+maps" you'll find plenty of them.
Really? It's outdated? I mostly browse the Archive.org/web/ version and to me it seems fine. When i search for "Physics Maps" on Google, Gmod shows up.
The most similar thing that i found is this: https://www.quantamagazine.org/wp-content/uploads/iframe/PhysicsMap/

Yes, you're right. It wasn't as easy as I first thought.
This is a nice one:
1939-Map-of-Physics-H2.jpg

But there are certainly more out there.

Likes Dragutin
Try this - I use it a fair amount for quick reference: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/index.html

The graphical navigation is very nice. Sometimes you have to drill pretty far down in a branch to reach topics with actual content; and here & there it isn't fully built out. In the very few areas I'm familiar with (mostly within electromagnetism), the content has seemed accurate & pithy. However they don't seem to have cites or recommending reading; and I don't know how deep they go in advanced topics; more of a primer? But they do have decent breadth, e.g. a fair amount about CMB under the Cosmology branch, many topics in Sound and Hearing, etc.

(Also, the graphical navigation doesn't work in Safari on my iPad; however if you scroll down the main page there are equivalent apps you can get for iOS - you have to click on the picture of an atom, but here's the link just in case: http://www.robemerydevelopments.com/GB/iOS_Apps.html )

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42 and Dragutin
fresh_42 said:
Yes, you're right. It wasn't as easy as I first thought.
This is a nice one:
1939-Map-of-Physics-H2.jpg

But there are certainly more out there.

I should try searching "Physics Branches" and "Fields of Physics".

Dragutin said:
I should try searching "Physics Branches" and "Fields of Physics".
Fields and physics together will lead to many, many diagrams with a lot of tiny arrows ...

Likes UsableThought
Dragutin said:
Hello everyone.

Can you describe clearly why this is useful to you?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Can you describe clearly why this is useful to you?

Zz.
It will help me on deciding what to learn next.

1. What is a physics atlas?

A physics atlas is a comprehensive and detailed collection of maps, charts, and diagrams that illustrate various concepts and theories in the field of physics. It is a visual reference guide that helps students and researchers understand complex ideas and phenomena.

2. How is a physics atlas different from a regular atlas?

A physics atlas is specifically focused on the subject of physics and includes maps and diagrams that are relevant to this field. A regular atlas, on the other hand, may cover a broader range of topics such as geography, history, or politics.

3. Who would benefit from using a physics atlas?

A physics atlas can be useful for students, teachers, and researchers in the field of physics. It can also be helpful for anyone interested in learning more about the fundamental principles and concepts of physics.

4. Are there different types of physics atlases available?

Yes, there are different types of physics atlases available, including general physics atlases that cover a wide range of topics, as well as specialized atlases that focus on specific areas of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, or electromagnetism.

5. Can a physics atlas be used as a learning tool?

Absolutely! A physics atlas can be a valuable learning tool for students, as it provides visual representations of complex concepts and helps to reinforce understanding. It can also be used as a reference guide for quick access to information and as a study aid for exams.