Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A physics atlas

1. Dec 19, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone.

I have been a lurker for a while and i finally decided to join the forum.
    So here's my question: "Is there anything similar to math-atlas.org?"
    For those of you that don't know Math-Atlas is a website that tries to pin down all of the mathematical branches and present them in a simple format - in this case an atlas.
    But i was wondering, is there anything similar for physics?
    It would be really useful for me (and other people as well) to have such a thing

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean (math-atlas.org is outdated)? If you google images for "physics+maps" you'll find plenty of them.

4. Dec 19, 2016 #3
    Really? It's outdated? I mostly browse the Archive.org/web/ version and to me it seems fine. When i search for "Physics Maps" on Google, Gmod shows up.
    The most similar thing that i found is this: https://www.quantamagazine.org/wp-content/uploads/iframe/PhysicsMap/

5. Dec 19, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Yes, you're right. It wasn't as easy as I first thought.
    This is a nice one:
    1939-Map-of-Physics-H2.jpg

But there are certainly more out there.

6. Dec 19, 2016 #5
    Try this - I use it a fair amount for quick reference: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/index.html

The graphical navigation is very nice. Sometimes you have to drill pretty far down in a branch to reach topics with actual content; and here & there it isn't fully built out. In the very few areas I'm familiar with (mostly within electromagnetism), the content has seemed accurate & pithy. However they don't seem to have cites or recommending reading; and I don't know how deep they go in advanced topics; more of a primer? But they do have decent breadth, e.g. a fair amount about CMB under the Cosmology branch, many topics in Sound and Hearing, etc.

(Also, the graphical navigation doesn't work in Safari on my iPad; however if you scroll down the main page there are equivalent apps you can get for iOS - you have to click on the picture of an atom, but here's the link just in case: http://www.robemerydevelopments.com/GB/iOS_Apps.html )

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  7. Dec 19, 2016 #6
    I should try searching "Physics Branches" and "Fields of Physics".

8. Dec 19, 2016 #7

fresh_42

Fields and physics together will lead to many, many diagrams with a lot of tiny arrows ...

9. Dec 19, 2016 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you describe clearly why this is useful to you?

Zz.

10. Dec 20, 2016 #9
    It will help me on deciding what to learn next.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted