1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Physics B.Sc., M.SC. or Ph.D. holder's working hours

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    Alright, so basically, we all probably agree that having a work/life balance is important, and is also one of the reasons why I'm thinking of switching from Law to Physics (well, it explains part - and only a part - of the reason why I want to go out of Law, but has in itself nothing to do with the going into Physics part, at least not yet).

So what I was wondering was if all of you board members could give me a quick glance at what your working hours usually are, where you work (industry, academia, government etc.) and whether your work is actually very physics intensive or is it one of those jobs where you got to use your "transferable" skills instead. The title of the topic can thus be seen as too narrow in regards to what I'm really asking, as what I want to know is basically how a "day in the life" of a physicist (I use this term in the broadest possible way) looks like. Also, don't be afraid to include your experience of other people in the field, not only yours', as I'm looking for any and all info.

I hope I'm not asking too much of you, but as you might be able to tell from the number of topics I've opened lately, it's a tough decision for me to make and would therefore like to make it on the basis of as much realistic info as possible, so as to not have my "fantasy" of how life of someone who has done Physics really looks like.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted