1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Physics problem

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    Hello Peace be upon you

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9198/workdone.jpg [Broken]

The first part of this problem is OK but I'm asking about the second part
    We know that the work done is F *d*cosine the angle between the force direction and
    the displacement direction .So why the book calculated the work done in this way?

I know that the work done in this case is the potential energy which is (m*g*d) and this does works!! But my problem is why the book calculated the work done in this way?

Another way :
    Its given that the angle between force direction and the displacement direction is 60 then the result is the same.
    So Are all of these ways right?
    I hope you can understand my problem
    Thanks so much
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it's all the same, either it's work = force times displacement times cos 60, where the displacement, d, is the distance along the incline. Since d =15/cos 60, then work = (15mg/cos60)(cos60), which is just Work = 15mg. Thus, the work done against gravity can be calcualted from W=mg(vertical distance) = 15mg. I agree that the theta = 0 in the book solution is somewhat misleading. Note also that the work done by gravity is (- delta U_g).
  4. Feb 10, 2010 #3
    Yeah this was exactly what i'm asking about

Thanks so much
    this really helped
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook