Solving Physics Problem: 31kg Skier on 13° Slope w/ Wind Force

• Thread starter Hiche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a 31 kg skier skis down a 13° frictionless slope and experiences a wind force with component Fx. When the skier's velocity is constant, the net force is 0 and Fx is -68.34 N. In part (b), with an acceleration of 1.2 m/s2, Fx is 30 N. In part (c), with an acceleration of 2.4 m/s2, Fx is -6.2 N. The projection of mg along the x component is not negative since the positive direction is chosen to be down along the plane. The maximum acceleration is 2.2 m/s2 and Fx is zero when there is no wind
Hiche

Homework Statement

A 31 kg skier skis directly down a frictionless slope angled at 13° to the horizontal. Choose the positive direction of the x-axis to be downhill along the slope. A wind force with component Fx acts on the skier. What is Fx if the magnitude of the skier's velocity is (a) constant, (b) increasing at a rate of 1.2 m/s2, and (c) increasing at a rate of 2.4 m/s2.

Homework Equations

Newton's second law.

The Attempt at a Solution

The velocity is constant hence acceleration tends to 0. The forces acting on the skier are the normal force, weight, and the wind force. In the first part, the net force is equal to 0, therefore the force (Fx) is -68.34 N.

I attempted to do the second and third part. I assumed that the net force will be equal to the mass times the acceleration, which is 1.2 and 2.4 respective of the second and third parts. I found two values for Fx but the site and my instructor said they were wrong. I tried solving it many times and it gave the same answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use F(net) = ma down the plane.
If you show your working people can help you.

I did use it and found out that in part b, Fx = 31 N and in part c, Fx = -6.2 N.

The net force is equal to ma, then: (@ is theta)

-Fx + mgsin@ = ma

with a = 1.2 m/s2, Fx = 30 N
with a = 2.4 m/s2, Fx = -6.2 N

Is that true? And is the projection of mg along the x component mgsin@ or its negative? I took the positive direction down the inclined plane.

Hiche said:
I did use it and found out that in part b, Fx = 31 N and in part c, Fx = -6.2 N.

The net force is equal to ma, then: (@ is theta)

-Fx + mgsin@ = ma

with a = 1.2 m/s2, Fx = 30 N
with a = 2.4 m/s2, Fx = -6.2 N

Is that true? And is the projection of mg along the x component mgsin@ or its negative? I took the positive direction down the inclined plane.

Fx = 31N is OK
The projection of mg along the x component is not negative since mg is vertically downwards and you have chosen positive x dir to be down along the plane.
As regards Fx = -6.2N, try to find the max acceleration with no wind at all.

The maximum acceleration, according to my quick calculations, is roughly 2.2 m/s2, which is greater than 2.4 m/s2. There's something here, and I'm guessing: will Fx be zero then? Please bare with me.

The whole thing is just vague to me considering I haven't been perpetuating the subject, mainly motion.

Never mind. Figured it out.

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of the skier on a 13° slope?

In order to calculate the acceleration of the skier, you would need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force would be the combination of the skier's weight and the wind force, and the acceleration can be calculated by dividing the net force by the mass of the skier.

2. How does the wind force affect the skier's motion?

The wind force, being a horizontal force, would cause the skier to accelerate in the direction of the wind. This would result in the skier moving faster down the slope, as the wind force adds to the skier's weight force in the direction of the slope.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the slope and the skier's acceleration?

The angle of the slope has a direct impact on the skier's acceleration, as it determines the magnitude of the component of the skier's weight force that acts in the direction of the slope. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration of the skier will be.

4. How does the skier's mass affect their motion on the slope?

The skier's mass is a key factor in determining their motion on the slope. A heavier skier will have a greater weight force acting on them, which would result in a greater acceleration down the slope. However, a heavier skier would also have a larger inertia, making it more difficult to change their motion or direction.

5. What other factors could impact the skier's motion on the slope?

Aside from the skier's mass and the wind force, other factors that could impact the skier's motion on the slope include the coefficient of friction between the skier's skis and the snow, the shape and design of the skis, and any external forces such as air resistance or drag. It is important to consider all these factors when solving a physics problem involving a skier on a slope.