1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A pilot flying his plane .

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    A pilot flying his plane.....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pilot is flying his plane 48.5 km/hr northward. He has forgotten to factor in a light wind from the east, going 0.85 km/hr. At what angle should he head his plane to factor in the wind?

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know :(

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I tried using some trig functions, and I got 1 degree, but I don't think that's right, and am now totally lost. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

owl

Re: A pilot flying his plane.....

I tried some trig too and got 1 degree west of north also... do you have any model answers at all?

4. Nov 6, 2009 #3

i think it must be 1 degree. Just try to draw the situation, you should get right triangle and then use tan(angle)=v(wind)/v(plane). But in order to neglect the wind pilot must head his plane at north east

5. Nov 6, 2009 #4

Thanks so much guys! I checked with my teacher and it was indeed 1 degree. I just didn't think that would make any sense, so I asked you guys. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook