1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Polarization Problem

1. Aug 24, 2006 #1
    I'm trying to teach myself polarization and dielectrics by doing problems, but it's not going as well as I'd hoped. Here's the first problem that I got stuck on:
    A round dielectric disc of radius R is statically polarized so that it gains the uniform polarization P, with the vector P lying in the plane of the disc. Find the strength E of the electric field at the center of the disc if d << R. ​
    I thought that since the disc is polarized along its plane, there would be a charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex] on one half of it, and a charge density of [tex]-\sigma[/tex] on the other half of it. I wasn't sure if [tex]\sigma = P[/tex], but I set them equal anyway. I also wasn't sure if [tex]\sigma[/tex] is uniform along each half-surface, but I did that anyway. Then I thought that a uniform polarization vector means that the whole surface is charged up unformly, which means no net electric field at the center.

I realize this is going to sound silly, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to solve this problem. Where am I supposed to start?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted