Poll: What Do You Think About Origami?

• Thread starter jhooper3581
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary, a poll about origami was discussed, with some humorous responses and a discussion about the artistic and mathematical aspects of origami. Several TED talks were mentioned, along with a comparison of origami to other forms of art. The conversation also touched on the different techniques for using toilet paper and the potential for creating an origami "Sorry!" in honor of a member who may leave.

Is origami mathematical or art?

• Mathematical.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Art.

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
jhooper3581
A poll about origami.

Physics news on Phys.org

You didn't include the option "Folded Paper".

lisab said:
You didn't include the option "Folded Paper".

:rofl: Please tell me you were nominated for the Humour award. That was pretty funny.

You didn't include the option "toilet paper".

Being a folder is way better than being a scruncher.

I think it is "mathematical art", but how do I vote for both?

I guess I could set up another account and vote for both.

I could also comment on my own posts to make it seem like some on else agrees with me.

I wonder how many people actually do that.

Sorry! said:
possibly even more than I love PF. Is this blasphemous? :cry::confused:

Yes.

Sorry! said:
I love that website... possibly even more than I love PF. Is this blasphemous? :cry::confused:

prepare to be eliminated

Greg Bernhardt said:
prepare to be eliminated

Bahaha. Well you guys have to admit, some of those origami from the TED video were pretty amazing. They made a mountain goat standing on a rock. Both the rock and the goat looked like mini-statues. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that possible with Origami; the best I had ever seen are those dragon Origami they have at Chinese restaurants. :tongue:

Sorry! said:
Bahaha. Well you guys have to admit, some of those origami from the TED video were pretty amazing.

I will be sure that we have an origami Sorry! to replace you when you are gone, in respectful memory.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I will be sure that we have an origami Sorry! to replace you when you are gone, in respectful memory.

Lol, awww thanks Ape :smile:

I had to bail part-way through the video, but will return to it soon.
Regardless, I consider origami to be art that is based upon mathematical principles. Most art is, if you look at it logically. As a for-instance, Asimov put forth a simple principle for making music that is sure to please human sensibilities.

1. What is origami?

Origami is the Japanese art of folding paper into decorative shapes and figures. It involves creating various objects by folding a single sheet of paper without the use of scissors or glue.

2. What are the benefits of practicing origami?

Origami has numerous benefits, including enhancing fine motor skills, improving hand-eye coordination, promoting mindfulness and relaxation, and stimulating creativity and imagination.

3. Is origami considered a form of mathematics?

Origami has a strong mathematical foundation, as it involves geometric and spatial reasoning. Many mathematical concepts such as symmetry, fractions, and geometry can be taught through origami.

4. Can anyone learn origami?

Yes, anyone can learn origami! It is a fun and accessible activity for people of all ages and skill levels. There are various resources, such as books and online tutorials, that can help beginners get started.

5. What are some popular origami designs?

Some popular origami designs include cranes, flowers, animals, and geometric shapes. However, there are endless possibilities for origami creations, and many people enjoy creating their own unique designs.