Are Auto-Washrooms Really Hygienic?

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Auto Poll
In summary: DIn summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of automatic bathroom appliances, such as auto-flushers, auto-towel paper dispensers, auto-hand dryers, and auto faucets. While some express frustration and dislike towards these devices, others appreciate the convenience and germ-free benefits they offer. Different experiences and tips for dealing with these auto devices are shared, including using a piece of toilet paper to cover the sensor or using a paper towel to open the bathroom door. The conversation also touches on the issue of hygiene in public restrooms.

Do you like auto-flushers, auto-towel paper dispensers, auto-hand dryers, and auto fa

• Total voters
rootX
Do you like auto-flushers, auto-towel paper dispensers, auto-hand dryers, and auto faucets?

I have had many frustrating experiences using these auto/sense things :grumpy:. What annoys me the most is people who make them don't even bother to put a manual control for them.

Physics news on Phys.org
If they don't work, not my problem.

The less I have to touch, the better!

Overall, I like automation, but I hate the auto-faucets that give you 1 nanosecond of water output.

It's disconcerting when they don't "see" me...gives me a Nosferatu-ish feeling .

I can't stand the auto flush. To be sure the space is too small and they flush before you have a chance to pile 15 layers of paper before use. Then you have to get the little child up and in position. ... {sigh} I have thought about using the trash and taking the used bag to maintenance when with a small child.

We can thank Einstein for thoes sensors? Right? Like to see him move that fast.

I have been sprayed with water, shot with soap, had the water go off before I rinsed the soap off and the water wouldn't turn back on, so I had to go to another sink, been scalded by way too hot water, and had no way to dry my hands. Had the toilet repeatedly flush while sitting on it and got my rear soaked with fouled water. Other than that, yeah, love them.

My workplace has the oddest situation. They have automated everything in the bathrooms. The faucet, soap dispenser, and paper towel dispenser are all automated and are fantastic (the faucet gives a great amount of water and doesn't have any annoying "special spot" where your hand MUST be at before it works). However, the toilet is automated and is a pain in the ***! Hell, last week I used the toilet and the thing flushed 4 times by itself by the time I was done.

I just had a toilet flushed on me and this was not the first time it happened :cry:

On other occasions, I had to deal with auto things that wouldn't respond at all, respond too little, or too much. Even for too much ones, you have to stand there few moments looking at them wondering if they going to flood the whole floor or they will stop.

I also had to deal with the toilets that only flush when you sit on them not when you leave!

Wow, I haven't had any of these problems. I like the auto stuff.

I can't wait for the next power failure.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I can't wait for the next power failure.
Finally, my electric toilet has come true!

Evo said:
Had the toilet repeatedly flush while sitting on it and got my rear soaked with fouled water.
lol, yea, isn't that wonderful! I hate taking a butt shower sitting on one of those things when it goes off every minute. Here's my secret (don't tell no one!). I take a length of toilet paper and fold it over the little sensor. You might have to double up the paper because they always seem to have that really thin paper in public toilets. Anyway, with the toilet paper flap in place, you can sit in peace. No more butt showers!

Evo said:
I have been sprayed with water, shot with soap, had the water go off before I rinsed the soap off and the water wouldn't turn back on, so I had to go to another sink, been scalded by way too hot water, and had no way to dry my hands. Had the toilet repeatedly flush while sitting on it and got my rear soaked with fouled water. ...
Well yea. You're cursed you know.

I vote Q_Goest most valuable member of the PF community!
Thanks for that tip.

dlgoff said:
Well yea. You're cursed you know.

Yah, I read that post and didn't even have to look at the posters name to know it was Evo

Pengwuino said:
Yah, I read that post and didn't even have to look at the posters name to know it was Evo
:tongue2:

They're all irrelevant.

The faucet auto-flows, the soap auto-dispenses, the dryer auto-dries. Perfect. And germ-free.

Then you grab the same door handle as the 500 previous savages who didn't wash their hands.

davec426913 said:
they're all irrelevant.

The faucet auto-flows, the soap auto-dispenses, the dryer auto-dries. Perfect. And germ-free.

then you grab the same door handle as the 500 previous savages who didn't wash their hands.
lol.

I don't use automatic toilets for going #2 anymore. I don't trust their calibration and also don't enjoy having to lean back against the sensor to avoid the involuntary bath with poo-water. :mad: I use the regular toilets and flush them with my foot.

I don't mind the other automatic devices.

Edit: Just read Q_Goest's method. Genius!

DaveC426913 said:

Then you grab the same door handle as the 500 previous savages who didn't wash their hands.

Not I. I open the door with the towel I used to dry my hands.

Q_Goest said:
lol, yea, isn't that wonderful! I hate taking a butt shower sitting on one of those things when it goes off every minute. Here's my secret (don't tell no one!). I take a length of toilet paper and fold it over the little sensor. You might have to double up the paper because they always seem to have that really thin paper in public toilets. Anyway, with the toilet paper flap in place, you can sit in peace. No more butt showers!
Now you tell me!

Lacy, Dembadon, Evo; Ok, I know this is going to sound stupid... (please don't run away) but there are those toilets, especially found in airports, that have those damn sensors built into the wall! You can't drape the paper over the sensor, it's all vertical. Now here's the trick... Take the paper, fold in half (you'll need 2 layers, airports are cheap). Then spit on one edge and stick it to the wall sensor. The saliva works like glue, especially if you had half a bottle of wine the night before, or a large bowl of cereal with milk for breakfast.

God bless, and poo in peace!

DaveC426913 said:
They're all irrelevant.

I feel like doorless bathrooms are at least as common as automated toilets

1. What is the purpose of conducting a poll on auto washrooms?

The purpose of conducting a poll on auto washrooms is to gather information and feedback from the public about their experiences and opinions regarding the availability, cleanliness, and functionality of auto washrooms. This data can then be used to identify areas for improvement and make informed decisions about the design and maintenance of auto washrooms.

2. How will the data from this poll be collected?

The data for this poll will be collected through various methods such as online surveys, in-person interviews, and phone surveys. The goal is to reach a diverse group of individuals who have used auto washrooms in different locations and under different circumstances, in order to obtain a comprehensive understanding of their experiences.

3. Who will be included in this poll?

The poll will be open to anyone who has used an auto washroom, regardless of their age, gender, or background. It is important to gather feedback from a diverse group of individuals to accurately represent the general public's opinions and experiences.

4. What types of questions will be asked in the poll?

The poll will include a range of questions related to the availability, cleanliness, and functionality of auto washrooms. These may include questions about the frequency of use, preferred features, areas for improvement, and overall satisfaction with auto washrooms. There may also be demographic questions to gather information about the participants.

5. How will the results of this poll be used?

The results of this poll will be used to inform decision-making processes related to the design, maintenance, and improvement of auto washrooms. The data will also be shared with relevant stakeholders, such as government agencies and auto companies, to advocate for better facilities and services for the public.