Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A poll on auto washrooms

1. Dec 3, 2011 #1
    Do you like auto-flushers, auto-towel paper dispensers, auto-hand dryers, and auto faucets?

I have had many frustrating experiences using these auto/sense things :grumpy:. What annoys me the most is people who make them don't even bother to put a manual control for them.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2011 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If they don't work, not my problem.

4. Dec 3, 2011 #3
    The less I have to touch, the better!

5. Dec 3, 2011 #4

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Overall, I like automation, but I hate the auto-faucets that give you 1 nanosecond of water output.

6. Dec 3, 2011 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's disconcerting when they don't "see" me...gives me a Nosferatu-ish feeling :surprised.

7. Dec 3, 2011 #6
    I can't stand the auto flush. To be sure the space is too small and they flush before you have a chance to pile 15 layers of paper before use. Then you have to get the little child up and in position. ....... {sigh} I have thought about using the trash and taking the used bag to maintenance when with a small child.

We can thank Einstein for thoes sensors? Right? Like to see him move that fast.

8. Dec 3, 2011 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have been sprayed with water, shot with soap, had the water go off before I rinsed the soap off and the water wouldn't turn back on, so I had to go to another sink, been scalded by way too hot water, and had no way to dry my hands. Had the toilet repeatedly flush while sitting on it and got my rear soaked with fouled water. Other than that, yeah, love them.

9. Dec 3, 2011 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

My workplace has the oddest situation. They have automated everything in the bathrooms. The faucet, soap dispenser, and paper towel dispenser are all automated and are fantastic (the faucet gives a great amount of water and doesn't have any annoying "special spot" where your hand MUST be at before it works). However, the toilet is automated and is a pain in the ***!!! Hell, last week I used the toilet and the thing flushed 4 times by itself by the time I was done.

10. Dec 3, 2011 #9
    I just had a toilet flushed on me and this was not the first time it happened :cry:

On other occasions, I had to deal with auto things that wouldn't respond at all, respond too little, or too much. Even for too much ones, you have to stand there few moments looking at them wondering if they going to flood the whole floor or they will stop.

I also had to deal with the toilets that only flush when you sit on them not when you leave!!

11. Dec 3, 2011 #10
    Wow, I haven't had any of these problems. I like the auto stuff.

12. Dec 3, 2011 #11
    I can't wait for the next power failure.

13. Dec 3, 2011 #12

Evo

Finally, my electric toilet has come true!!

14. Dec 3, 2011 #13

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

lol, yea, isn't that wonderful! I hate taking a butt shower sitting on one of those things when it goes off every minute. Here's my secret (don't tell no one!). I take a length of toilet paper and fold it over the little sensor. You might have to double up the paper because they always seem to have that really thin paper in public toilets. Anyway, with the toilet paper flap in place, you can sit in peace. No more butt showers!

15. Dec 3, 2011 #14

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well yea. You're cursed you know.

16. Dec 3, 2011 #15
    I vote Q_Goest most valuable member of the PF community!
    Thanks for that tip.

17. Dec 3, 2011 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah, I read that post and didn't even have to look at the posters name to know it was Evo

18. Dec 3, 2011 #17

Evo

:tongue2:

19. Dec 3, 2011 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

They're all irrelevant.

The faucet auto-flows, the soap auto-dispenses, the dryer auto-dries. Perfect. And germ-free.

Then you grab the same door handle as the 500 previous savages who didn't wash their hands.

20. Dec 3, 2011 #19

Evo

lol.

21. Dec 3, 2011 #20

Dembadon

Gold Member

I don't use automatic toilets for going #2 anymore. I don't trust their calibration and also don't enjoy having to lean back against the sensor to avoid the involuntary bath with poo-water. :mad: I use the regular toilets and flush them with my foot.

I don't mind the other automatic devices.

Edit: Just read Q_Goest's method. Genius!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook