A position of stable equilibrium, and the period of small oscillations

In summary: F=-mA##.I assume the a on the left should be A, the acceleration, not to be confused with the given a, a coordinate.Almost right, but you have a sign... it should be ##F=-mA##.
Davidllerenav
Homework Statement
A particle of mass ##m## moves under the action of a potential
##V(x)=\frac{cx}{x^2+a^2}##
where ##a## and ##c## are positive constants. Find the positions of stable equilibrium and the period of the small oscillations around those points.
Relevant Equations
The equations of the harmonic oscillator:
##\ddot{x}=\omega^2x=0##
Period: ##\tau\simeq \frac{2\pi}{\omega}##
I tried by taking the derivative of the potential to find the critic points and the I took the second derivative to find which of those points are minimum points. I found that the point is ##x=- a##. I don't understand how to calculate the period, since I haven't seen anything about the harmonic oscillator.

Physics news on Phys.org
What force acts at x? So what is the acceleration there?

haruspex said:
What force acts at x? So what is the acceleration there?
The potential force?

Davidllerenav said:
The potential force?
There is a force resulting from the potential, yes. How is it obtained from V(x) algebraically?

haruspex said:
There is a force resulting from the potential, yes. How is it obtained from V(x) algebraically?
It is the gradient, right?

Davidllerenav said:
It is the gradient, right?
Yes. So what is that as a function of x?

haruspex said:
Well, it is the vector that contains the partial derivatives as coordinate functions, but I don't know its physical meaning.

Davidllerenav said:
Well, it is the vector that contains the partial derivatives as coordinate functions, but I don't know its physical meaning.
There seems to be only one dimension here, so just the derivative... which is?

haruspex said:
There seems to be only one dimension here, so just the derivative... which is?
The slope of the tangent line at that point of the curve.

Davidllerenav said:
The slope of the tangent line at that point of the curve.
Yes, yes... but write the actual function of x.

haruspex said:
##v'(x)=\frac{a^2c-x^2c}{(x^2+a^2)^2}##

Davidllerenav said:
##v'(x)=\frac{a^2c-x^2c}{(x^2+a^2)^2}##
Right, so what is the acceleration at x?

haruspex said:
Right, so what is the acceleration at x?
I don't know, sorry.

Davidllerenav said:
I don't know, sorry.
From posts #5 and #11 you know the force, and you are given the mass.

So, the force is ##v'(x)=\frac{a^2c-x^2c}{(x^2+a^2)^2}=m A ##, where ##A## is the acceleration. so ##A= \frac{m(a^2c-x^2c)}{(x^2+a^2)^2}## right?

Davidllerenav said:
So, the force is ##v'(x)=\frac{a^2c-x^2c}{(x^2+a^2)^2}=m A ##, where ##A## is the acceleration. so ##A= \frac{m(a^2c-x^2c)}{(x^2+a^2)^2}## right?
Retry that last step.

haruspex said:
Retry that last step.
Sorry, I noticed my mistake. ##A= \frac{a^2c-x^2c}{m(x^2+a^2)^2}##

Davidllerenav said:
Sorry, I noticed my mistake. ##A= \frac{a^2c-x^2c}{m(x^2+a^2)^2}##
Ok, so write that as a differential equation. Then consider that you are interested in small perturbations from x=-a.

haruspex said:
Ok, so write that as a differential equation. Then consider that you are interested in small perturbations from x=-a.
I haven't seen differential equations yet, so I have no idea how to do that.

Davidllerenav said:
I haven't seen differential equations yet, so I have no idea how to do that.
The relevant equation you quoted (##\ddot x=...##) is a differential equation.

haruspex said:
The relevant equation you quoted (##\ddot x=...##) is a differential equation.
Yes, I know, but I have't take that class yet. My teacher said that it wasn't necessary to solve the differential equation to solve this problem.

Davidllerenav said:
Yes, I know, but I have't take that class yet. My teacher said that it wasn't necessary to solve the differential equation to solve this problem.
Yes, you do not have to solve the differential equation because the relevant equations you posted show how to write the period down directly from the differential equation without solving it. But you still need to get the acceleration equation you have in post #11 into the form ##\ddot x+\omega^2x=0##. This will involve making an approximation for x close to the equilibrium value you found.
This will be a lot easier if you replace x by equilibrium value plus a variable displacement.

haruspex said:
Yes, you do not have to solve the differential equation because the relevant equations you posted show how to write the period down directly from the differential equation without solving it. But you still need to get the acceleration equation you have in post #11 into the form ##\ddot x+\omega^2x=0##. This will involve making an approximation for x close to the equilibrium value you found.
This will be a lot easier if you replace x by equilibrium value plus a variable displacement.
How can I find the approximation? Using a taylor polynomial?

Davidllerenav said:
How can I find the approximation? Using a taylor polynomial?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Ok, and of what degree?

Davidllerenav said:
Ok, and of what degree?
Just the first term.

haruspex said:
Just the first term.
I think that the polynomial is ##F=mA=v'(a)+v''(a)(x-a)##, it would be ##ma=0+\frac{c}{2a^3}(x-a)## right?

Davidllerenav said:
I think that the polynomial is ##F=mA=v'(a)+v''(a)(x-a)##, it would be ##ma=0+\frac{c}{2a^3}(x-a)## right?
I assume the a on the left should be A, the acceleration, not to be confused with the given a, a coordinate.
Almost right, but you have a sign error.

haruspex said:
I assume the a on the left should be A, the acceleration, not to be confused with the given a, a coordinate.
Almost right, but you have a sign error.
Well, I thought that that ##a## was supposed to be the value I found, ##x=-a##.

Davidllerenav said:
Well, I thought that that ##a## was supposed to be the value I found, ##x=-a##.
In post #27 you correctly wrote mA= In one equation, A being the acceleration, but in the next equation you changed it to ma=.

haruspex said:
In post #27 you correctly wrote mA= In one equation, A being the acceleration, but in the next equation you changed it to ma=.
Oh, sorry, I meant ##mA=0+\frac{c}{2a^3}(x-a)##. Since I'm plugging in ##x=-a##, would it be ##mA=0-\frac{c}{2a^3}(-a-a)##?

Davidllerenav said:
Oh, sorry, I meant ##mA=0+\frac{c}{2a^3}(x-a)##. Since I'm plugging in ##x=-a##, would it be ##mA=0-\frac{c}{2a^3}(-a-a)##?
You don't want to plug in x=-a.
As I posted, it would be rather clearer if you were to rewrite the equation I am terms of displacement from -a, e.g. x=-a+y. Then you would be looking for a differential equation of the form ##\ddot y+\beta y=0## for some constant beta.
Try that approach and maybe it will fix your sign error.

haruspex said:
You don't want to plug in x=-a.
As I posted, it would be rather clearer if you were to rewrite the equation I am terms of displacement from -a, e.g. x=-a+y. Then you would be looking for a differential equation of the form ##\ddot y+\beta y=0## for some constant beta.
Try that approach and maybe it will fix your sign error.
Sorry for taking so long answer. I don't undertand how should I should I do that, should I just replace ##x## by ##-a+y## on the taylor polynomial?

Davidllerenav said:
Sorry for taking so long answer. I don't undertand how should I should I do that, should I just replace ##x## by ##-a+y## on the taylor polynomial?
I would use that substitution in your equation in post #17. Then simplify a bit and discard terms beyond the first nonzero term in each sum.

haruspex said:
I would use that substitution in your equation in post #17. Then simplify a bit and discard terms beyond the first nonzero term in each sum.
Ok, so I should make that substitution in the expression of the acceleration, not in the taylor expansion, right?