Proving Existence of Positive Integer Multiple with 0s & 1s

In summary, the General Pigeonhole Principle states that at least one box will receive more than the given number of items. TheAttempt at a Solution only had trouble coming up with a solution because they were unsure of what to do with the sequence {1,11,111,...}.
whiteman

Homework Statement

Let k be any positive integer. Prove that there exists a positive
integer multiple n of k such that the only digits in n are 0s and
1s. (Use the pigeonhole principle.)

Homework Equations

The General Pigeonhole Principle
If more than mk things are distributed into k boxes then
at least one box receives more than m things.

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know where to start off. I just need a bit of a nudge and hopefully that'll get me started. thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the sequence of numbers {1,11,111,1111,11111,...}. How many possible remainders are there when you divide by k?

Dick said:
Think about the sequence of numbers {1,11,111,1111,11111,...}. How many possible remainders are there when you divide by k?

Very nice! I thought about this problem on the drive home and came up with a solution, but it's a bit more complicated, entailing two cases depending on whether 10 is a unit or a zero divisor mod k. Your solution is much quicker and more elementary. On the other hand, I think my method might find the smallest possible answer, but I haven't written down the details yet.

jbunniii said:
Very nice! I thought about this problem on the drive home and came up with a solution, but it's a bit more complicated, entailing two cases depending on whether 10 is a unit or a zero divisor mod k. Your solution is much quicker and more elementary. On the other hand, I think my method might find the smallest possible answer, but I haven't written down the details yet.

Yeah, it is nice. This is sort of a classic problem, I've seen it at least once before. It's classic pigeonhole. I didn't make up the solution. I just remembered it. I hadn't even thought about finding the smallest solution. If you can do that it would be interesting.

Last edited:
Dick said:

This is an interesting question but can't figure out what to do! What do you do with the sequence {1,11,111,...}?

aldebaran19 said:
This is an interesting question but can't figure out what to do! What do you do with the sequence {1,11,111,...}?

You don't do anything in particular with it as a sequence. You just think about the possible values of the remainders after dividing by k of those values. Then think 'pigeonhole principle'.

thanks for all the help, guys, especially Dick. i was able to get it from the first post you gave :)

1. How do you prove the existence of a positive integer multiple with 0s and 1s?

The existence of a positive integer multiple with 0s and 1s can be proved by finding a pattern in the multiples of the given number. For example, if the number is 7, we can observe that every 7th multiple will have a repeating pattern of 0s and 1s (1, 10, 11, 100, 101, 110, 111, etc.). This pattern will continue for all positive integer multiples of 7, thus proving the existence of such a multiple.

2. Can this proof be applied to any positive integer?

Yes, this proof can be applied to any positive integer. As long as a repeating pattern of 0s and 1s can be observed in the multiples of a given number, the existence of a positive integer multiple with 0s and 1s can be proved.

3. Is there a mathematical formula for finding the positive integer multiple with 0s and 1s?

No, there is no specific formula for finding the positive integer multiple with 0s and 1s. It is more of a visual pattern that can be observed and proved through observation and analysis.

4. Can this proof be extended to other sets of numbers, such as 0s and 2s or 1s and 3s?

Yes, this proof can be extended to other sets of numbers. The concept remains the same - finding a repeating pattern in the multiples of the given number. However, the pattern may be different for different sets of numbers.

5. What is the significance of proving the existence of a positive integer multiple with 0s and 1s?

This proof can have various applications in mathematics and computer science, such as in number theory, cryptography, and coding theory. It also helps in understanding and analyzing patterns in numbers and their multiples.