Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A possible view of curved space/time?

1. Sep 29, 2004 #1
    Hi all,

Is this a valid view of space/time curvature.

The path of an object under influence of a force has a curved trajectory in inertial space/time. Therefore, the inertial axes appear curved to an observer traveling on the curved trajectory. In the same way, an observer in a gravitational field will perceive the inertial axes to be curved.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2004 #2
    Hi all,

I noticed an interesting idea about GR.

If you plot the time for an observer in any point in space on the time axis of time from the big bang, you get a picture of space curved in the negative direction of time.

This also gives expansion of the gravitational space/time with respect to time from the big bang.

If you add expansion to space itself you can get accelerated expansion.

The formation of black holes will anchor the singularity in time creating more expansion.

4. Oct 11, 2004 #3
    In the first part, you have to unless an absolute k is established and then here you go and reflect how that negative in time appears simple.
  5. Oct 12, 2004 #4
    Hi Taoist,

Yes, but isn't this how things will appear to an observer in that portion of space/time that has undergone the least relative gravitational time dilation. (relative to a flat space observer)

6. Oct 13, 2004 #5
    Hi Juju,
    this "the inertial axes appear curved to an observer traveling on the curved trajectory" contradicts

"A" will see the rod as shorter in regards to a traveling "B" but if observing "B" within its velocity with no longer see the effect
  7. Oct 13, 2004 #6
    hey taoist,

I see no contradiction. The world line of the accelerating observer is curved in inertial space/time, so to the observer it is the inertial axes that appear curved.

The shortened distance requirements just appear at every point in the trajectory at the instantaeous velocity.

8. Oct 14, 2004 #7
    a delima of product use especially when the black whole established a point adding the new demenision.

what is your objective?

9. Oct 14, 2004 #8
    hey taoist,

I have no point. Just a temporary fleeting point of view. Just like to share the look.

10. Oct 14, 2004 #9

I enjoy your depth and thought maybe you we working on something specific

11. Oct 14, 2004 #10
    hey taoist,

My view is that space/time is not really curved. That the idea of curvature is an artifact of the mathematics of GR used to describe gravity.

It's not that GR is wrong. But the idea that space/time is really curved may be wrong.

I believe that this idea arose because the general structure of the gavitational field was unknown and is still unkown. So space/time curvature was employed as a substitute.

I am working on a concept that uses spin fields rising from both a scaler and a vector field and defined on the vector field.

I will probably not get to the specific math that eventually must be associated with this, but I think it can incorporate all the forces we know of today.

12. Oct 14, 2004 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Remember that if you post your private theory here, it will be moved to theory development.
  13. Oct 15, 2004 #12
    Hey dude,

All I did was give a non-standard view of GR and answer a question about where it came from.

What's the hassle.

14. Oct 18, 2004 #13
    Hello JuJu,

THeory developement is where I belong. I just completed Mother Earth's Dynamo Theory and sent it up for review/ I would enjoy your comments and other's. Sure would like the books rewritten to offer the next generation a proper view.

selfadjoint are you administering this thread? and where do I find "theory development"

15. Oct 18, 2004 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Theory Development is Here, It's a subforum of General Physics.
  16. Oct 23, 2004 #15
    Hey juju any chance you can draw me a picture ???

I understand views better if I can see them form the same point as the initial viewer

17. Oct 23, 2004 #16
    Hi Ringo Kid,

Here's the visualization I used in my head.

Consider a time axis with its origin at the big bang. Then have the space axis perpendicular to this. Place each space point on an axis parallel to the time axis. Make the time passed since the big bang for each point in space be the time that would have been measured by an observer at that point since the big bang, with all the time dilation factors

This produced some very interesting speculations.

I also did a similar mapping using radial time axes for each point in space. This was even weirder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?