Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A possible way to produce thrust from ZPE?

1. Aug 12, 2004 #1
    Take two plates of a suitable material, and attach them at one end at a 90 degree angle, such that they form a V shaped assembly. The plates will block some of the vacuum flactuation frequencies inside the V, so a Casimir-like force will appear on the two plates. But since the plates are at an angle, I suspect that the forces should not be exactly opposite each other, and should therefore not cancel out. If this is correct, that would produce a small amount of net force, probably in the direction of the V's "mouth".

I think this should be easily testable by using sound waves as a model... Have any such tests been made? Have anyone done calculations on this geometry? Any other comments/thoughts on the matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2004 #2
    I did some more thinking on this. It would seem that for the described geometry, all forces excerted on the system by the vacuum flactuations would cancel out. But perhaps a different geometry could be designed, where that does not occur...

4. Aug 14, 2004 #3
    Is the total energy of the vacuum fluctuations in the universe exactly zero? Or does there exist a slight non-zero energy contribution TO the universe? If so, then it should be possible to model the effect, then experimentally tap into the energy and amplify it. I suspect that resonance will play a big part in the design of a vacuum-fluctuation machine.

5. Aug 14, 2004 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

The answer is... zero [give or take a quantum fluctuation]. See

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=00045486-6600-1C71-9EB7809EC588F2D7&catID=3

6. Aug 14, 2004 #5
  7. Aug 17, 2004 #6
    Perhaps you might get a copy of a paperback book called "Does Time Exist?" by Henri Salles (2002 by 1st Books Library). What Henri has sorted out on his own seems to be a good match for what B. Haisch has been doing for some time. I have no clue if these two know each other.

8. Aug 17, 2004 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

The authors of the Scientific American article are respected authorities who write textbooks and articles in mainstream science. I will pay more attention to the 'California Institute of Physics and Astronomy' [CIPA] when they publish a 'paper' that is more fact than fiction. You would be well advised to check the credibility of your sources before citing them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?