Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A possible way to produce thrust from ZPE?

1. Aug 12, 2004 #1
    Take two plates of a suitable material, and attach them at one end at a 90 degree angle, such that they form a V shaped assembly. The plates will block some of the vacuum flactuation frequencies inside the V, so a Casimir-like force will appear on the two plates. But since the plates are at an angle, I suspect that the forces should not be exactly opposite each other, and should therefore not cancel out. If this is correct, that would produce a small amount of net force, probably in the direction of the V's "mouth".

I think this should be easily testable by using sound waves as a model... Have any such tests been made? Have anyone done calculations on this geometry? Any other comments/thoughts on the matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2004 #2
    I did some more thinking on this. It would seem that for the described geometry, all forces excerted on the system by the vacuum flactuations would cancel out. But perhaps a different geometry could be designed, where that does not occur...

4. Aug 14, 2004 #3
    Is the total energy of the vacuum fluctuations in the universe exactly zero? Or does there exist a slight non-zero energy contribution TO the universe? If so, then it should be possible to model the effect, then experimentally tap into the energy and amplify it. I suspect that resonance will play a big part in the design of a vacuum-fluctuation machine.

5. Aug 14, 2004 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The answer is... zero [give or take a quantum fluctuation]. See

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=00045486-6600-1C71-9EB7809EC588F2D7&catID=3

6. Aug 14, 2004 #5
  7. Aug 17, 2004 #6
    Perhaps you might get a copy of a paperback book called "Does Time Exist?" by Henri Salles (2002 by 1st Books Library). What Henri has sorted out on his own seems to be a good match for what B. Haisch has been doing for some time. I have no clue if these two know each other.

8. Aug 17, 2004 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The authors of the Scientific American article are respected authorities who write textbooks and articles in mainstream science. I will pay more attention to the 'California Institute of Physics and Astronomy' [CIPA] when they publish a 'paper' that is more fact than fiction. You would be well advised to check the credibility of your sources before citing them.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook