Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Postcard From Vietnam

1. Mar 22, 2004 #1
    I’ve reproduced an e-mail I received from a mate “passing” through S-E Asia;

“sorry I haven't e-mailed you. been pretty busy (read debauched and drunk -
    you'd be proud seb), but I wanted to tell you a bit about vietnam. there are
    no tree's here that are older than 25 years which is pretty stuffed, but
    also there is a very high rate of limbless people, deformaties, and
    austistic people. It's incredible but I think it's due to the dioxin dumped
    on them by the Americans. I also went to the War museum which was amazing,
    because it had a lot of documentation about the vietnam war which was
    mindblowing. It also showed a lot about the south vienamese government and
    the brutality they caused. also there was heaps of american equipment left,
    such as tanks, bombs, chemicals and planes. so much that the police ALL
    drive in american jeeps, and that a lot of the delivery trucks are the old
    troop carriers. one other really weird thing is that Australia is now
    producing all of vietnam's money in exactly the same style as our own.
    pretty crazy, and I can't figure why they don't do it themselves.

apart from that I haven't been doing much. picked up a few skills which I'll
    tell ya about when I get back (big brother is always watching) and learnt a
    lot firsthand about cambodia and the vietnam war as well. I'll fill you in
    when I see you next!

take care

Pssstt…. want to buy a second-hand American Jeep (funded by the US taxpayer)?
    What a unique form of Foreign Aid. Ha!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2004 #2
    When a government rewrites it's own history the results are often amazing. BTW, it gives me great pleasure to see that you are still allowed to speak english on your pleasant little island.

Ready and Forward, Steadfast and Loyal!

Sgt. Michael D. Sewell
    Former member Delta Troop, 1st Squadron, 10th Air Cavalry,
    4th Infantry Division, United States Army
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2004
  4. Mar 22, 2004 #3
    Us Backward Convicts...

That is right, we are allowed to speak ENGLISH.
    Australia was established by the British as a Penal Colony.

Rewriting History,
    I need go no further than the USA's ludicrous "Gulf of Tonkin Resolution".
    Man, move over Orwell...
  5. Mar 22, 2004 #4
    Originally posted by Nommos Prime (Dogon)
    Is your mate suggesting the American Military killed every tree in a country approximately the size of California. The greater miracle is the massive tree replanting effort conducted by the Vietnamese people since 1980.

Robert Zaleski, USN
    River Division 535
    Mekong Delta 1969-70
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  6. Mar 22, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might pass along to your friend that he's not supposed to shoot the mosquito repellant --- it's for topical use only.

Americal 70-71
  7. Mar 23, 2004 #6
    Robert and Bystander,
    OOH-RAH! Welcome home vets! God bless you, and God bless America.
  8. Mar 23, 2004 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

MDS, RZ ---

This makes a great reunion theme --- "What's the most 'dinky dau' myth or bulls%%t story you've ever heard about the Nam?"

"19?" The Secret War (for oil)? C's killing Cong?

Dogon, this thread's being hijacked --- we're gonna fly it right through the bats in Jane's belfry.
  9. Mar 23, 2004 #8
    OOH-RAH! The fact that our endeavors cause great mental anguish to people who feel that they have failed in life is a
    totally unintended but extremely pleasurable side effect. All they do is Whine, whine, whine...

Thank you for your sacrifice. God bless America. -Mike
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2004
  10. Mar 23, 2004 #9
    Australia has Vietnam Veterans Too...

A bit off topic, but…

Sgt Sewell, just a “shot in the dark”, but…
    Do you know anybody from the “National Recon Group, the DELTA group” ?
    I know that you’ve listed “Delta Troop”.

Just wondering about the black triangle on the red background…
    Do you know what I’m talking about????

PS: Australia lost over 500 lives in the conflict as well. I mourn for them, but I do not defend the lies they fought for.
  11. Mar 23, 2004 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't many real memories of the period, consider myself a draft dodger, spent some time in Cuba, then traveled around the Med attempting to seize and burn all the hash I could find.

USN ETR3
    Gitmo '70-71
    USS JFK '71-73
  12. Mar 23, 2004 #11
    Burning "The Midnight Oil"

Posted by Integral;
    “…traveled around the Med attempting to seize and burn all the hash I could find.”

When you say "burn", I hope you mean burning by smoking!
  13. Mar 24, 2004 #12
    Welcome aboard Integral,
    Your modesty is noted, your service is appreciated. All gave some, some gave all. Thank you, and god bless.

Your shot missed. No red triangle on my uniform. The only thing red about me is my neck. Now drop down and give me fifty.

Glad to see that you're a student of military history. Perhaps someday you will make a good soldier if you have what it takes.

You seem to be angry and frustrated by everything that the United States does. That is a good thing; statistics say that you get about 78 years or so on this planet and I wouldn't want to see you get bored. If you enjoy being angry and frustrated, it's fine by me, live it up. As always, we're going to be doing a lot of things, so you're going to have a lot to be angry and frustrated about.

We applaud Australia for it's sacrifices in many wars that were forced upon us both. The Australian soldiers have always been courageous fighters, with a unique calmness and steady sense of purpose about them. Many times they have fought with us side-by-side in battles to deliver the ungreatful from the unmerciful. We mourn the passing of many brave souls, and sympathize with each and every one of their families for their tremendous loss.

Soldiers are not politicians. It is not part of the mission. I don't have all of the information that our governments have, and either do you. What I do know is that in 200 years we have liberated more people than any other country in history. Millions of our young people have died freeing peasants in many countrys that had nothing we wanted. No oil, just rocks and mud. The only thing we have ever asked for our efforts, is room to bury our dead.

God bless you too,
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2004
  14. Mar 24, 2004 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Burning "The Midnight Oil"

Re-read the first sentence of my post, it ties to the last!

I appreciate your words, the grunts on the ground in 'Nam bore the brunt of the trauma of that era. As you said, others not sweating in the heat and dodging lead, did their part and paid in their own way. A very good friend of mine spent 6 years in the Navy, after about 2yrs of training he was sent to a nuc sub, he ended up spending a full 2yr UNDER WATER (in 3 month cruises). Being enclosed in a steel tube for that long of time has effects all its own.

My experience was a vacation cruise compared to most others. Of course, I must add that the USS JFK (with me on board) left for a 6 month Mediterranean cruise in Dec '71, after 3 extensions we returned 10 months later in Oct '72, apparently this stood as the longest deployment of a Naval vessel until last year when the Nimitz returned from Iraq.
  15. Mar 24, 2004 #14
    Very well said Michael
  16. Mar 25, 2004 #15
    Thank you all for your support and your kind words.

War is horrible. No rational human being wants war. The fact that human beings have to resort to war to resolve their differences is absolutely disgusting to me. I wish it were not the case. This could be a beautiful planet without war.

In many countries, leaders rule their people by means of murder and torture. They gain so much power that the only way to depose them is through military action. I truly wish that this were not so.

I sympathize with people all over the world who live in fear for their lives every day, day in and day out, millions of them, right now, while I'm writing this. I wish there was a way to save them all, each and every one of them. They are living in a man made hell, all day, every day.

Pacifism is a wonderful concept. If it worked, I would embrace it whole-heartedly. I truly wish that it would work. I doesn't.

Our country, and every other free country that I can think of, was delivered back to the people from cruel and murderous tyrants by means of violence and bloodshed. These rotten bastards usually can not be gotten rid of by any other means. Many innocent people die, many are crippled and blinded for life. But at the same time, the thousands who are injured and killed, make their sacrifice for the millions who are saved. We all mourn for the thousands who suffer, but we all celebrate for the millions who are saved.

When Chamberlain returned from his meeting with Adolph Hitler, Winston Churchill said to him "You had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."

Many times I have heard people talk about how wonderful it would be if the world had no wars. But I ask you, can you imagine what a lovely place this would be if all free people banded together and eliminated tyranny from the planet? Imagine if these vicious dictators were not tolerated, ever again, anyplace. What if we stopped these people cold? What if we overthrew all of the murderous thugs on the planet, and put them out of business? Imagine...
    God bless you all,
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?