1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A potential problem with my CV

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1
    Hello all,

I thought I might pick some of your brains with a potential problem I might have. I switched schools after 2 years of my Ph.D. program, since my research advisor took a job at a different school. I followed him to his new school since my previous institution did not have a particle physicist anymore, let alone one who was familiar with all the previous research I had done on the subject.

I did not get a masters from my previous university since it would have been a big pain in the rear. I know I was lazy and should have just wrote a masters thesis, but I would have had to do some research in a field I had no experience with and that would have just delayed the work I wanted to do.

Well now I wonder if this will look badly on my CV. I have 2 years of a Ph.D. program on there with nothing to show for it from that institution. Should include an explaination somewhere? Is appropriate to have a statement like that on your CV?

Just wondered what you all might have to say about it.
    Cheers,
    Ryan

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2006 #2
    I've heard of this happening a lot: about four grad students at my school are going through the same thing. I'm sure someone will see that and probably infer that this is what happened.

4. Jan 10, 2006 #3
    That is good to know that it is common, but is it appropriate to mention is somewhere on my CV? I also know a couple grad students who have been dropped from programs and transfered to other schools. How do I distinguish myself from those students?
    Thanks,
    Ryan

5. Jan 10, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why do you have to mention the school at which you started your Ph.D.?

Edit: Is it because you want to include TA experience at the first institution?

Regards,
    George

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  6. Jan 10, 2006 #5
    In fact I will not be doing much teaching (most likely none) at my new institution since I have a fellowship for research. So I would like to have that included since I was one of the best TAs there and my reviews show it. In addition, I have done research during my time there and took almost all of my class work for my Ph.D. there.

7. Jan 10, 2006 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A suggestion: Include a brief separate Education section that summarizes your degrees, like

Education

Doctor of Philosophy, Physics, University of ?, 20??. (Started at U of ?; advisor changed institutions.)

Bachelor of Science, Physics, University of ?, 20??.

Also have other sections with titles like Awards, Work Experience, Teaching Experience, Research Experience - whatever headings that suit you. The fairly short parenthetical comment in the Education section then explains everything.

As I said, this is only a suggestion - you should have a format with which *you* feel comfortable.

Regards,
    George

8. Jan 10, 2006 #7
    That is the basic format that I have right now,
    Education, Research, Teaching, Awards, Publications, Conference Talks, Academic Societies, and a small paragraph that explains my current research activities.

Thanks for taking the time to respond George.
    Cheers,
    Ryan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?