A potential problem with my CV

In summary, Ryan followed his research advisor to a new school and is now worried about how his previous school will view his lack of a masters degree. He is worried that this will show in his CV, but is reassured by others that this is a common occurrence.
Norman
Hello all,

I thought I might pick some of your brains with a potential problem I might have. I switched schools after 2 years of my Ph.D. program, since my research advisor took a job at a different school. I followed him to his new school since my previous institution did not have a particle physicist anymore, let alone one who was familiar with all the previous research I had done on the subject.

I did not get a masters from my previous university since it would have been a big pain in the rear. I know I was lazy and should have just wrote a masters thesis, but I would have had to do some research in a field I had no experience with and that would have just delayed the work I wanted to do.

Well now I wonder if this will look badly on my CV. I have 2 years of a Ph.D. program on there with nothing to show for it from that institution. Should include an explanation somewhere? Is appropriate to have a statement like that on your CV?

Just wondered what you all might have to say about it.
Cheers,
Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard of this happening a lot: about four grad students at my school are going through the same thing. I'm sure someone will see that and probably infer that this is what happened.

That is good to know that it is common, but is it appropriate to mention is somewhere on my CV? I also know a couple grad students who have been dropped from programs and transferred to other schools. How do I distinguish myself from those students?
Thanks,
Ryan

Why do you have to mention the school at which you started your Ph.D.?

Edit: Is it because you want to include TA experience at the first institution?

Regards,
George

Last edited:
George Jones said:
Why do you have to mention the school at which you started your Ph.D.?

Edit: Is it because you want to include TA experience at the first institution?

Regards,
George

In fact I will not be doing much teaching (most likely none) at my new institution since I have a fellowship for research. So I would like to have that included since I was one of the best TAs there and my reviews show it. In addition, I have done research during my time there and took almost all of my class work for my Ph.D. there.

A suggestion: Include a brief separate Education section that summarizes your degrees, like

Education

Doctor of Philosophy, Physics, University of ?, 20??. (Started at U of ?; advisor changed institutions.)

Bachelor of Science, Physics, University of ?, 20??.

Also have other sections with titles like Awards, Work Experience, Teaching Experience, Research Experience - whatever headings that suit you. The fairly short parenthetical comment in the Education section then explains everything.

As I said, this is only a suggestion - you should have a format with which *you* feel comfortable.

Regards,
George

That is the basic format that I have right now,
Education, Research, Teaching, Awards, Publications, Conference Talks, Academic Societies, and a small paragraph that explains my current research activities.

Thanks for taking the time to respond George.
Cheers,
Ryan

1. What could be considered a potential problem with my CV?

There are a few common issues that could be considered potential problems with a CV. Some examples include having spelling or grammar errors, including irrelevant or outdated information, or not tailoring the CV to the specific job or industry.

2. How can I improve my CV to avoid potential problems?

To improve your CV and avoid potential problems, make sure to thoroughly proofread for any errors, only include relevant and recent information, and customize the CV for each job application. You can also ask for feedback from a mentor or professional in your field.

3. Can a potential problem with my CV affect my chances of getting a job?

Yes, a potential problem with your CV can definitely affect your chances of getting a job. Employers often use CVs as a first impression of a candidate, so it's important to make sure it is polished and presents you in the best light possible.

4. What is the best format for a CV to avoid potential problems?

There is no one "best" format for a CV, as it can vary based on the job or industry. However, a general rule of thumb is to keep it concise, easy to read, and well-organized. Using bullet points, headings, and a clear layout can also help avoid potential problems.

5. Should I include all of my work experience on my CV, even if it's not relevant?

No, it's not necessary to include all of your work experience on your CV. Instead, focus on highlighting relevant experience and skills that align with the job you are applying for. You can also mention any other experiences briefly, without going into too much detail.