Skiing Up a Slope: Solving Work & Power Requirements

In summary, a skier of mass 70 kg is being pulled up a 30° slope at a constant speed of 2 m/s by a motor-drive cable. The work required to pull the skier 60 m up the slope is zero, as there is no acceleration and all work is done against gravity. To perform this task, the motor must have a power of 700 Watts.
komarxian

Homework Statement

A skier of mass 70 kg is pulled up a slope by a motor-drive cable.
a. How much work is required to pull him 60 m up a 30° slope (assumed frictionless) at a constant speed of 2 m/s?
b. What power must a motor have to perform this task?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I will be attaching pictures in a reply to this in a minute, and these pictures will have my work. I have no idea if I did it correctly, as my textbook does not have an answer for this proble, but I don't feel totally clueless, so that's good?
The thing is, there's no acceleration, so it's kind of confusing, because the normal W= Fd doesn't seem to work because I keep getting 0 N, because a=0, but when I solve using ΔU, I actually get something, but once again, I have no clue if it is correct. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1452311747.581575.jpg

My attempt!

As you rightly observe, the constant speed means no work is done on the skier. All the work is done against gravity, and PE is the way to figure that out.
But you seem to have some mistakes in your calculations. Where does the 35 come from?
What force does your F represent? I assume it is the tension in the cable. Over what distance does that force haul the skier?

Likes komarxian
35 comes from my sine calculation for the height of the slope. I will reloik at the problem about the tension, thanks!

komarxian said:
35 comes from my sine calculation for the height of the slope.
Then I suggest you work it out again.

Likes komarxian
Okay got it.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1452449091.907767.jpg

Okay here is my work! The problem I solved for was #48 and my answer is 700 Watts?

komarxian said:
Okay here is my work! The problem I solved for was #48 and my answer is 700 Watts?
Yes. Quickest way is to note that 2m/s up a 30 degree slope is 1m/s vertically, so power = mass x g x 1m/s.

Likes komarxian
@komarxian Please post future images right-way up for viewing. Readers find screens exceeding around 42" are all but impossible to wrench around 90° and balance on their end.

Images are considerably more difficult to read than is rendered text, particularly in less than favourable lighting. For this reason we ask that you learn to present your working using Latex, and reserve images for just the labelled diagrams.

Likes komarxian
Okay! I'll try that out.

1. What is the definition of work and power in the context of skiing up a slope?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In the context of skiing up a slope, work is the effort required to move the skier and their equipment up the slope. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which work is done. It is calculated by dividing the work by the time it takes to complete it.

2. How do you calculate the work and power requirements for skiing up a slope?

The work and power requirements for skiing up a slope can be calculated using the formula W = Fd and P = W/t, where W is work, F is force, d is distance, P is power, and t is time. In this case, force can be calculated by multiplying the skier's weight by the slope's incline, and distance is the length of the slope. Time can be measured using a stopwatch or by dividing the distance by the skier's average speed.

3. What factors affect the work and power requirements for skiing up a slope?

The work and power requirements for skiing up a slope are affected by several factors, such as the slope's incline, the skier's weight, the length of the slope, and the skier's speed. Other factors that may impact these requirements include the surface conditions, air resistance, and equipment used.

4. How can you decrease the work and power requirements for skiing up a slope?

There are a few ways to decrease the work and power requirements for skiing up a slope. One way is to use lighter equipment, which will reduce the amount of force needed to move up the slope. Additionally, improving technique and using efficient movements can also decrease the amount of work and power required. Finally, choosing a shallower slope or taking breaks can also help decrease the overall requirements.

5. How do the work and power requirements for skiing up a slope compare to skiing down a slope?

The work and power requirements for skiing up a slope are generally higher than skiing down a slope. This is because skiing up a slope requires the skier to work against gravity, while skiing down a slope uses gravity to assist in movement. Additionally, skiing down a slope also involves more speed and forces such as air resistance, which can impact the overall work and power requirements.