A prime generator I discovered

Main Question or Discussion Point

Somewhere between brute force and Mersenne derivation of primes is the formula I found,

[tex]\prod_{n=1}^Np_n-1=p_Z[/tex]

I guess it would generate more primes pZ than Mersenne in a given interval, but requires knowledge of all primes to pN, the Nth prime. It may produce only primes, rather than Mersenne's hit-or-miss search. The pn here are supposed to follow 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17...pN, but the formula might work somewhat with an incomplete sequence of primes.

Have I discovered anything new here? The equation is so simple and effective that it must have already been found.

Answers and Replies

Somewhere between brute force and Mersenne derivation of primes is the formula I found,

[tex]\prod_{n=1}^Np_n-1=p_Z[/tex]

I guess it would generate more primes pZ than Mersenne in a given interval, but requires knowledge of all primes to pN, the Nth prime. It may produce only primes, rather than Mersenne's hit-or-miss search. The pn here are supposed to follow 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17...pN, but the formula might work somewhat with an incomplete sequence of primes.

Have I discovered anything new here? The equation is so simple and effective that it must have already been found.
The above formula has been used to prove that there are an infinite number of primes and is well known. Unfortunately I believe the larger n is the less chance that the number is prime even though it is clear that all primes up through the Nth prime do not divide this number.

Borek
Mentor
2*3*5*7*11*17-1 = 107*367

(you are not the first one with this idea :wink:)

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
See http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A005265 [Broken] and related sequences.

Last edited by a moderator: