Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Prioris of Science?

1. Aug 21, 2008 #1
    What are the basic "unproved" assumptions of science?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

This isn't philosophy, moving to GD.

This question is also too broad. You will need to state examples that you are questioning.
  4. Aug 22, 2008 #3
    Isn't philosophy?! And exactly what would you categorize it as? An inquiry into the 'a prioris' of science is 100% a philosophical inquiry falling under the category of epistemology. In fact, it's one of the hottest philosophical topics being addressed in academia. Do names like Kuhn, Popper, and Feyerabend mean anything to you? They weren't exactly writing hikers' field manuals.

But perhaps you were right about my needing to provide examples. If I wanted to start a discussion about the philosophical underpinnings of science, I probably should have been more explicative.
  5. Aug 22, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

Your one and only sentence was

We have standards for what qualifies as an acceptable post for philosophy and that doesn't cut it.

I suggest you read the Philosophy Forum Guidelines to understand what is required.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?