Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A probability distribution

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    Here is a question that was in on of my exams a few months ago. It asks what is the value of k so that the function f(x;k) is a probability density.
    I didn't really answer it, but put an answer as [tex] k= \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi}}[/tex] because that somewhat resembled the Normal distribution.
    Does anyone know?

[tex]f(x;k) = -(\frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi}} - k)^2 + k.e^{(10x - 0.25x^2 - 100)}[/tex]

(this is not a homework question)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

What are the properties of a probability density function?

4. Jan 29, 2007 #3
    Area under curve = 1

5. Jan 29, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Right, i.e. [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(x)dx =1[/tex]

6. Jan 29, 2007 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You also need f(x)>=0 for all x for f(x) to be a probability density.

7. Jan 29, 2007 #6
    But [tex]k.e^{(10x - 0.25x^2 - 100)}[/tex] isn't able to be integrated using elementary functions.

8. Jan 29, 2007 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That doesn't matter, does it? The standard normal distribution integrates to 1:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac 1 {\sqrt{2\pi}} \exp\left(-\,\frac1 2 x^2\right) = 1[/tex]

From this, you should be able to calculate the integral of [itex]k.e^{(10x - 0.25x^2 - 100)}[/itex] over all x.

BTW, your guess was right because setting [itex] k= \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi}}[/itex] eliminates the first term and makes the latter term a normal PDF. Can you see why?

9. Jan 29, 2007 #8
    Ahh, right. I guessed it for that reason (to eliminate the other term), but kind of by accident.

I see how it goes now. Thanks for your responses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?