How Do Sets {B1, B2, ..., Bn} Form an n-Partition of Set G?

In summary: G ∩ An) = G ∩ (A1 ∩ A2 ∩ ... ∩ An) = G ∩ Ø = Ø. Thus, the sets {B1, B2, ... , Bn} form a partition of G. In summary, the question asks to show that the sets {B1, B2, ... , Bn} defined as the intersection of G and the n-partition {A1, A2, ... , An} form a partition of G. This is shown by proving that B1 ∪ B2 ∪ ... ∪ Bn = G and B1 ∩ B2 ∩ ... ∩ Bn = Ø
occhi

Homework Statement

Hi i can't understand the question i need to help show me how to reach a solution

Let {A1,A2...An} be an n-partition of the space [tex]\Omega[/tex],and define the sets{B1,B2,...} by
Bj=G[tex]\cap[/tex]Aj,j=1,2,3... .Show that the sets {B1,B2...Bn} is an n-partition of the set G

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Let {A1, A2, ... , An} be an n-partition of the space Ω, i.e. A1 ∪ A2 ∪ ... ∪ An = Ω and A1 ∩ A2 ∩ ... ∩ An = Ø. Let G be any subset of Ω. Since the sets {A1, A2, ... , An} form a partition of Ω, we can define the sets {B1, B2, ... , Bn} by Bi = G ∩ Ai, where i = 1, 2, ... , n. We will now show that the sets {B1, B2, ... , Bn} form a partition of G. To show this, we must show that B1 ∪ B2 ∪ ... ∪ Bn = G and B1 ∩ B2 ∩ ... ∩ Bn = Ø. We first show that B1 ∪ B2 ∪ ... ∪ Bn = G. Since G ⊆ Ω, it follows that G ∩ Ai ⊆ Ai for each Ai in the partition. Therefore, B1 ∪ B2 ∪ ... ∪ Bn ⊆ A1 ∪ A2 ∪ ... ∪ An = Ω. Since G ⊆ Ω and G ∩ Ai ⊆ Ai for each Ai in the partition, it follows that G = (G ∩ A1) ∪ (G ∩ A2) ∪ ... ∪ (G ∩ An). This implies that G = B1 ∪ B2 ∪ ... ∪ Bn. We now show that B1 ∩ B2 ∩ ... ∩ Bn = Ø. Since A1 ∩ A2 ∩ ... ∩ An = Ø, it follows that G ∩ A1 ∩ A2 ∩ ... ∩ An = Ø. Therefore, B1 ∩ B2 ∩ ... ∩ Bn = (G ∩ A1) ∩ (G ∩ A

1. What is probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual observations and can vary depending on the sample size.

4. Can probability be greater than 1?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1. This would indicate a certainty of 100%, which is not possible in most situations.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many different fields, including mathematics, science, finance, and sports. It can be used to make predictions, analyze risk, and make decisions based on uncertain outcomes.