A Probability tree diagram

In summary: You can think of each individual package as a one-in-1000 chance. (Actually, since there are 200 packages per line, it would be more like a one-in-2000 chance.) Now imagine you're the only one inspecting the film. If a package has not been stamped, then the probability it's yours is 1/200. But if it has been stamped, the probability it's yours is 1/100. So the probability of it being yours, either way, is 1/200 + 1/100 = 1/300. Since the probability of a path is the product of the probabilities of its branches, the probability of John failing to stamp a package is 1/300 * .
AlexChandler

Homework Statement

Suppose that the four inspectors at a film factory are supposed to stamp the expiration date on each package of film at the end of the assembly line. John, who stamps 20% of the packages, fails to stamp the expiration date once in every 200 packages; Tom, who stamps 60% of the packages, fail to stamp the expiration date once in every 100 packages; Jeff, who stamps 15% of the packages, fails to stamp the expiration date once in every 90 packages; and Pat, who stamps 5% of the packages, fails to stamp the expiration date once in every 200 packages. If a customer complains that her package of film does not show the expiration date, what is the probability that it was inspected by John? [HINT: A probability tree diagram is part of the solution. You must therefore, draw a clearly labeled tree diagram to occupy half of the space below. Show the rest of the solution directly below your tree diagram.]

Homework Equations

Probability of a path = product of the probabilities of the branches

The Attempt at a Solution

I Made the probability tree. There are two branches leading to the outcome of john failing to stamp the package. The product of these two branches are

[tex] .2 * \frac{1}{200} = .001 [/tex]

This gives me the probability that if you blindly grab a particular package, that it had been check by john and not stamped. But I don't think this really answers the question. If we already know that it has not been stamped, and from here we want to find the probability that john checked it... then I think the probability should not be so small. In this case, if we were to compute the probability that each person checked it and add them together, shouldn't they add to 1 since one of the four people definitely checked it?

Thanks, I hope this is clear

Physics news on Phys.org
i would say each package is checked by only one person, so:
- calculate the total probability a package is not stamped = P(NS)
- calculate the total probability is not stamped and handled by John = P(NS & J)

then the probability the package was not handled by John, given it is not stamped is
P(J|NS) = P(NS & J) / P(NS)

Last edited:
You know P{not stamped|John}, P{not stamped|Tom}, P{not stamped|Jeff} and P{not stamped|Pat}. You also know P{John}, P{Tom}, P{Jeff} and P{Pat}. Use standard formulas to get P{John|not stamped}. If you don't understand the formulas, you can use a probability tree, as suggested.

RGV

Thank you both. Actually when I first attempted this problem, we had not yet covered conditional probability.

AlexChandler said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that the four inspectors at a film factory are supposed to stamp the expiration date on each package of film at the end of the assembly line. John, who stamps 20% of the packages, fails to stamp the expiration date once in every 200 packages; Tom, who stamps 60% of the packages, fail to stamp the expiration date once in every 100 packages; Jeff, who stamps 15% of the packages, fails to stamp the expiration date once in every 90 packages; and Pat, who stamps 5% of the packages, fails to stamp the expiration date once in every 200 packages. If a customer complains that her package of film does not show the expiration date, what is the probability that it was inspected by John? [HINT: A probability tree diagram is part of the solution. You must therefore, draw a clearly labeled tree diagram to occupy half of the space below. Show the rest of the solution directly below your tree diagram.]

Homework Equations

Probability of a path = product of the probabilities of the branches

The Attempt at a Solution

I Made the probability tree. There are two branches leading to the outcome of john failing to stamp the package. The product of these two branches are

[tex] .2 * \frac{1}{200} = .001 [/tex]

This gives me the probability that if you blindly grab a particular package, that it had been check by john and not stamped. But I don't think this really answers the question. If we already know that it has not been stamped, and from here we want to find the probability that john checked it... then I think the probability should not be so small. In this case, if we were to compute the probability that each person checked it and add them together, shouldn't they add to 1 since one of the four people definitely checked it?

Thanks, I hope this is clear

A proper probability tree will have 8 branches, because for each of 4 people there are two branches: stamped and not stamped. Among all the non-stamped branches, you need to determine what proportion of them belong to John.

You might find it helpful to think about it this way: imagine a large number, say N = 8 million packages. How many are stamped by John? by Tom?, etc. Of those stamped by John, how many fail to have a date? Of those stamped by Tom, how many fail to have a date? etc. Look at the total (out of the 8 million) that have no date. How many were stamped by John? What is the corresponding proportion?

RGV

What is a Probability Tree Diagram?

A Probability Tree Diagram is a visual representation of the possible outcomes of an experiment and their associated probabilities. It helps to calculate the overall probability of a specific outcome by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable probabilities.

How is a Probability Tree Diagram constructed?

A Probability Tree Diagram is constructed by starting with a single branch representing the initial outcome. Then, for each possible outcome at each step, additional branches are added with their respective probabilities. This process is continued until all possible outcomes have been included.

What are the advantages of using a Probability Tree Diagram?

There are several advantages to using a Probability Tree Diagram. It allows for a visual representation of complex probabilities, makes it easier to understand the relationship between different outcomes, and can help identify the most likely outcome in a given scenario.

What are the limitations of a Probability Tree Diagram?

One limitation of a Probability Tree Diagram is that it can become complicated and difficult to read if there are a large number of possible outcomes. Additionally, it assumes that all events are independent, which may not always be the case.

How is a Probability Tree Diagram useful in real-life situations?

A Probability Tree Diagram is useful in real-life situations as it can help make informed decisions based on the likelihood of different outcomes. It is commonly used in fields such as finance, insurance, and healthcare for risk assessment and decision-making.