Compactness of a Set S in a Normed Vector Space E

• Thread starter tghg
  • Start date
In summary, we are asked to show that the set S, consisting of all v and Xn, is compact. To do this, we can consider the definition of compactness and show that every sequence in S has a convergent subsequence whose limit is also in S. We can do this by first showing that v is the only accumulation point in S, and then considering two cases for a sequence in S: one with a finite number of distinct elements, and one with an infinity of distinct elements. In both cases, we can show that there exists a converging subsequence whose limit is either v or an element of S that is very close to v. This shows that S is compact, and we are done.
tghg

Homework Statement

Serge Lang Undergraduate Analysis Chapter Ⅷ §1 Exe4

Let{Xn} be a sequence in a normed vector space E such that {Xn} converges to v. Let S be the set consisting of all v and Xn.
Show that S is compact.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess that maybe it is useful to consider it from the aspect of the definition of compactness,i.e. every sequence of elements of S has a convergent subsequence whose limit is in S. But I coudn't convince that why there must be such a convergent subsequence in every sequence, you know, some sequences are not the given ones that converge.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a plan for you.

1° Show that the only accumulation point in S is v.

2° Consider a sequence {a_n} in S. Convince yourself that there can be one of two possibilities. Either {a_n} contains a finite number distinct elements or an infinity of distinct element.

3° Show that in the first case, there is at least one element of the sequence that appears an infinity of times (this defines a converging subsequence).

4° Show that in the later case, the sequence is convergent and converges to v. (defining a "trivially converging" subsequence)

Thanks.
but I still have some problems.
I can't show that
If {a_n} contains an infinity of distinct element, the sequence is convergent and converges to v.

Is the set S bounded?

It's probably easiest to go back to the definition in terms of open covers. If U_alpha is an open cover, v is in one of the open sets, and this open set contains all but finitely many of the x_n.

This point raised by StatusX (namely, that If U_alpha is an open cover, v is in one of the open sets, and this open set contains all but finitely many of the x_n), is also the key to your problem:

I can't show that
If {a_n} contains an infinity of distinct element, the sequence is convergent and converges to v.

The fact that v is the only accumulation point of S means that

[tex]\forall\epsilon>0, \ \ |S\setminus (B_{\epsilon}(v)\setminus\{v\})|<\infty[/tex]

In words: for any radius epsilon as small as we like, there is only a finite number of elements of S outside the open ball of radius epsilon centered on v.

It follows immediately that for any sequence {a_n} with an infinity of distinct elements and for all epsilon>0, there exist an N>0 such that for all n>N, a_n [itex]\in B_{\epsilon}(v)\setminus\{v\}[/itex] and that is precisely the definition of convergence.

(If it weren't so, i.e. if there was an epsilon such that there is only a finite number of elements inside the epsilon-ball, then there is an infinity of them outside. But there is only a finite number of distinct elements outside the epsilon-ball, so our sequence cannot have an infinity of distinct elements: contradiction.)

Last edited:

1. What is compactness?

Compactness is a mathematical concept that describes the property of a set being "small" or "concentrated" in some sense. In other words, it is a measure of how efficiently a set can be covered by a finite number of smaller sets.

2. How is compactness related to topology?

In topology, compactness is a fundamental property of a topological space. It is closely related to concepts such as connectedness and continuity, and is used to characterize the behavior of functions and spaces in certain situations.

3. What is the importance of compactness in mathematics?

Compactness has many important applications in mathematics, including in analysis, geometry, and topology. It allows us to prove the existence of solutions to certain equations and to understand the structure of spaces and functions.

4. What are some examples of compact and non-compact sets?

An example of a compact set is a closed interval on the real number line, such as [0, 1]. An example of a non-compact set is the set of all real numbers, as it is not bounded and cannot be covered by a finite number of smaller sets.

5. How is compactness used in real-world applications?

Compactness is used in many real-world applications, such as in data compression, where it allows us to represent large amounts of information in a more efficient way. It is also used in physics and engineering to model and analyze complex systems.