1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem about compactness

1. Feb 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Serge Lang Undergraduate Analysis Chapter Ⅷ §1 Exe4

Let{Xn} be a sequence in a normed vector space E such that {Xn} converges to v. Let S be the set consisting of all v and Xn.
    Show that S is compact.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I guess that maybe it is useful to consider it from the aspect of the definition of compactness,i.e. every sequence of elements of S has a convergent subsequence whose limit is in S. But I coudn't convince that why there must be such a convergent subsequence in every sequence, you know, some sequences are not the given ones that converge.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a plan for you.

1° Show that the only accumulation point in S is v.

2° Consider a sequence {a_n} in S. Convince yourself that there can be one of two possibilities. Either {a_n} contains a finite number distinct elements or an infinity of distinct element.

3° Show that in the first case, there is at least one element of the sequence that appears an infinity of times (this defines a converging subsequence).

4° Show that in the later case, the sequence is convergent and converges to v. (defining a "trivially converging" subsequence)

4. Feb 13, 2007 #3
    Thanks.
    but I still have some problems.
    I can't show that
    If {a_n} contains an infinity of distinct element, the sequence is convergent and converges to v.

Is the set S bounded?

5. Feb 13, 2007 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

It's probably easiest to go back to the definition in terms of open covers. If U_alpha is an open cover, v is in one of the open sets, and this open set contains all but finitely many of the x_n.

6. Feb 13, 2007 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This point raised by StatusX (namely, that If U_alpha is an open cover, v is in one of the open sets, and this open set contains all but finitely many of the x_n), is also the key to your problem:

The fact that v is the only accumulation point of S means that

[tex]\forall\epsilon>0, \ \ |S\setminus (B_{\epsilon}(v)\setminus\{v\})|<\infty[/tex]

In words: for any radius epsilon as small as we like, there is only a finite number of elements of S outside the open ball of radius epsilon centered on v.

It follows immediately that for any sequence {a_n} with an infinity of distinct elements and for all epsilon>0, there exist an N>0 such that for all n>N, a_n [itex]\in B_{\epsilon}(v)\setminus\{v\}[/itex] and that is precisely the definition of convergence.

(If it weren't so, i.e. if there was an epsilon such that there is only a finite number of elements inside the epsilon-ball, then there is an infinity of them outside. But there is only a finite number of distinct elements outside the epsilon-ball, so our sequence cannot have an infinity of distinct elements: contradiction.)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?