1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Problem About Satellite

1. Apr 23, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] A Problem About Satellite

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To get a flat, uniform cylindrical satellite spinning at the correct rate, engineers fire four tangential rockets as shown in the figure.

If the satellite has a mass of 3700 kg, a radius of 5.0 m, and the rockets each add a mass of 250 kg, what is the required steady force of each rocket if the satellite is to reach 33 rpm in 5.5 min, starting from rest?

can anyone help me to solve this problem?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF caner cem,

The forum guidelines require you to show some effort or detail your thoughts before we can help you. So, what have you tried thus far?

4. Apr 23, 2008 #3
    sorry, i am in a hurry.

i found the inertia of satellite I =0.5mr^2 and angular accelaration with this w = at = 33 rpm = 33*2*pi/60 = 3.455 rad/s. then calculate the torque
    Torque = I*a with this equation after that i divided it 4 to find each rocket torque.
    Torque = Frsin(angle between F,r) = Fr i used this equation to find the F but i could not find the right answer i am doing something wrong.

5. Apr 23, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How did you calculate the angular acceleration?

What value did you get for the inertia?

Your methodology seems correct, so you must have made an error in the calculation, we can't help you with that unless you show your complete working.

6. Apr 23, 2008 #5
    Inertia=46250 , angular acceleration=0.0105, torque=485.63 and each torque of rocket=121.4 finally F=24.3 but it says it is wrong

i think the problem is accelaration but i do not know another solution.
    i used this equation w=a.t, w: angular velocity, a:angular accelaration, t is time

7. Apr 23, 2008 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your forgetting the moment of inertia of the rockets.

8. Apr 23, 2008 #7
    i tried to do adding the inertias of rockets but it did not accept it and i have only one time to write the answer

9. Apr 23, 2008 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to calculate the inertia of the cylinder and rockets as a single body and use this inertia to calculate the net torque. You can treat the rockets as point masses.

10. Apr 23, 2008 #9
    sorry. how can i find the angular accelaration using inertia?

11. Apr 23, 2008 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, it was a typo, I meant net torque as opposed to angular acceleration. I have corrected the mistake in my previous post.

12. Apr 23, 2008 #11
    i tried it; when i calculate the inertia with rockets I=58750 and a=0.0105 so net torque=616.875, each rocket needs to provide a torque of 616.875/4=154.22 so F=30.84 but i is wrong:(:(

13. Apr 23, 2008 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have calculated the moment of inertia incorrectly. What is the moment of inertia for a point particle?

14. Apr 23, 2008 #13
    then i must use this equation with total mass I =mr^2, is it right?

15. Apr 23, 2008 #14

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is correct, this will give you the moment of inertia of the rockets. You then need to add this to the moment of inertia of your cylinder to obtain the total moment of inertia.

16. Apr 23, 2008 #15
    thank you very much brother. and i am so sorry to take your time.

17. Apr 23, 2008 #16

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No worries, that's what we're here for! No apology necessary :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?