A problem dealing with Faraday's Low of Induction

• Thread starter jena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the conversation discusses a 22.0 cm diameter coil with 20 turns of circular copper wire, and a uniform magnetic field that changes at a rate of 8.65 x 10^-3 T/s. The question is about determining the current in the coil, and the approach involves using equations for resistance, voltage, and current. After working through the calculations, the final current is determined to be 0.001 A.
jena
Hi,

My question:

A 22.0 cm diameter coil consists of 20 turns of circular cooper wire 2.6mm in diameter. a uniform magnetic field, perpendicular to the plane of the coil, changes at a rate of 8.65 x 10^-3 T/s. Determine the current in the loop.

I'm not sure how to approach this equation. I was thinking I should use the following equations:

R=((rho)L)/A, to find the resistance

Emf=-N(magnetic flux)/t, for the voltage

then using the resistance and voltage that I found from the equations use them to find the current, I.

I=(V)/R

Is anyone of this correct:confused:

Thank You:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there are some typos in your question or I don't understand how something can have 2 diameters at the same time. In addition, no resistivity was given.

A 22.0 cm diameter coil consists of 20 turns of circular cooper wire 2.6mm in diameter

But in general it looks like the right approach. Try working it out and see how the math goes.

Okay:smile:

Work:

Beginning with resistance
R=((rho)L)/A
R=((1.68 x 10^-8 ohm x m)(22 x10^-2 m))/(pi(2.6 x10^-3))^2
R= 6.96 x 10^-4 ohm

Next Emf for volts
E=-N(magnetic flux)/t,
E=-(20)(-8.65 x 10^-3 T/s)((pi(2.6 x10^-3))^2)
E= 9.19 x 10^-7 volts

Finally the current
I=E/R
I=(9.19 x 10^-7 volts)/(6.96 x 10^-4 ohm)
I=.001 A

Is this okay?

Thank You:smile:

1. What is Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that when a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, an electromotive force (EMF) is induced in the conductor, which in turn causes a current to flow.

2. How does Faraday's Law of Induction work?

Faraday's Law of Induction works by utilizing the relationship between magnetic fields and electric fields. When a conductor is moved through a magnetic field or when the magnetic field changes, it creates a change in the electric field, which induces an EMF in the conductor.

3. What is the significance of Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction is significant because it explains the fundamental principle behind the operation of generators, transformers, and other important electrical devices. It also demonstrates the relationship between electricity and magnetism, a key concept in the field of electromagnetism.

4. What factors affect the strength of the induced EMF?

The strength of the induced EMF is affected by the rate at which the magnetic field changes, the strength of the magnetic field, and the number of turns in the conductor. Additionally, the material and size of the conductor can also impact the induced EMF.

5. How is Faraday's Law of Induction related to Lenz's Law?

Faraday's Law of Induction and Lenz's Law are closely related. Lenz's Law states that the direction of the induced EMF is always such that it opposes the change that created it. This means that the induced current creates a magnetic field that opposes the original change in the magnetic field. This is in accordance with Faraday's Law, which states that the induced EMF is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field.