A Problem from "Incandescence" - Comments

• Insights
  • Thread starter pervect
  • Start date
In summary, the author of the PF Insights post "A Problem From 'Incandescence'" discusses the direction of proper acceleration and geodesic deviation in relation to a sketch of a map seen "head on." They also address the convention used in their diagram for representing weights and clarify the distinction between weight and four-acceleration. The post has been revised from the original version to better explain these concepts.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
pervect submitted a new PF Insights post

A Problem From “Incandescence”

Incan.title_-1.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• incan.fig.1 (1).png
    incan.fig.1 (1).png
    5.2 KB · Views: 643
  • incan.fig.1 (2).png
    incan.fig.1 (2).png
    4.8 KB · Views: 606
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PAllen, m4r35n357 and mfb
Physics news on Phys.org
pervect said:
Figure 2 shows a sketch of the map seen "head on" that was sketched in perspective in figure 1.

If the arrows are supposed to show the direction of proper acceleration required for a body to keep the same spatial position on the plane, their directions are backwards. The arrow directions shown are the directions of geodesic deviation due to tidal gravity, i.e., the directions in which neighboring geodesics will move relative to each other. The direction of proper acceleration required to keep neighboring worldlines from deviating will be opposite to the direction of geodesic deviation.

The convention I used has the weights point in the direction the object would move if it were force-free. To give an example, if I were drawing arrows for weights on the Earth, using the convention I used in my diagram, the arrows representing weight would point "downwards", towards the center of the Earth. I didn't really think much about the convention to be honest, I just used what seemed natural to me.

pervect said:
The convention I used has the weights point in the direction the object would move if it were force-free.

I'm not sure this is a matter of convention, unless you are also treating the term "weight" as a matter of convention. In the usual usage, "weight" is a force and its direction should be a direct observable, which must be describable by an invariant. "The direction the object would move if it were force-free" seems more like geodesic deviation to me.

I revised the insights article considerably from the original pair of posts, in order to distinguish "weight" from "four-acceleration", I hope that addresses the point that was raised.

What is "A Problem from Incandescence"?

"A Problem from Incandescence" is a short story written by science fiction author Greg Egan. It was first published in 2007 and is set in a post-human future where beings have advanced to a higher level of consciousness.

What is the plot of "A Problem from Incandescence"?

The story follows the journey of a group of post-humans as they try to solve a mysterious problem that threatens their existence. They must navigate through complex scientific concepts and ethical dilemmas in order to find a solution.

What scientific concepts are explored in "A Problem from Incandescence"?

"A Problem from Incandescence" delves into topics such as quantum mechanics, advanced physics, and the nature of consciousness. It also explores the concept of time and how it can be manipulated in a post-human society.

How does "A Problem from Incandescence" relate to real-world science?

While the story is set in a post-human future, many of the scientific concepts and theories explored in "A Problem from Incandescence" have real-world applications. It challenges readers to think about the potential consequences of advancements in science and technology.

What themes are present in "A Problem from Incandescence"?

Some of the main themes in "A Problem from Incandescence" include the pursuit of knowledge, the ethics of scientific discovery, and the consequences of playing god. It also touches on themes of identity, consciousness, and the limitations of human understanding.