Can You Solve the Mystery of the Numbered Street in Louvain?

• Thread starter murshid_islam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem presented in Ramanujan's biography, where a man is trying to determine the number of a house in a street that has the same sum of numbers on both sides. The conversation also touches on Ramanujan's use of continued fractions to solve problems and a debate about the difference between "perfect squares" and "squares." The conversation ends with a plea for help in solving the problem using continued fractions.
murshid_islam
I was reading Ramanujan’s biography (by Kanigel) and there was a mathematical problem in that book which was published in the Strand magazine during the First World War. This is the problem:

"I was talking the other day," said William Rogers to the other villagers gathered around the inn fire, "to a gentleman about the place called Louvain, what the Germans have burnt down. He said he knowed it well – used to visit a Belgian friend there. He said the house of his friend was in a long street, numbered on this side one, two, three, and so on, and that all the numbers on one side of him added up exactly the same as all the numbers on the other side of him. Funny thing that! He said he knew there was more than fifty houses on that side of the street, but not so many as five hundred. I made mention of the matter to our parson, and he took a pencil and worked out the number of the house where the Belgian lived I don’t know how he done it."
Perhaps the reader may like to discover the number of that house.

Here is what I tried:
Let n = the number of the house that the Belgian lived in
m = the total number of houses in that street
and 50<m<500

now
[tex]1+2+ \cdots +(n-1) = (n+1)+(n+2)+ \cdots +m[/tex]

[tex]\frac{n(n-1)}{2} = \frac{(n+1+m)(m-n)}{2}[/tex]

[tex]n(n-1) = (n+1+m)(m-n)[/tex]

[tex]2n^2 = m^2 + m[/tex]

now how do i sove for n and m?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
By using the restrictions placed on how many houses there are. It is just trial and error from there, plus some other observations, like m^2+m is the product of coprime integers m and m+1.

Last edited:
matt grime said:
By using the restrictions placed on how many houses there are. It is just trial and error from there
but Ramanujan supposedly solved it using continued fractions. but how?

matt grime said:
plus some other observations, like m^2+m is the product of coprime integers m and m+1.
i don't see how that helps.

Ramanujan solved every problem he met with continued fractions. Perhaps that's why we don't understand any longer how he got his results.

Sorry, just kidding, I'm out of here..

So, if I tell you that ab is a perfect square and that a and b are coprime, you can't deduce anything at all about a and b?

matt grime said:
So, if I tell you that ab is a perfect square and that a and b are coprime, you can't deduce anything at all about a and b?
sorry, maybe it is incredibly stupid of me, but i can't see what you are suggesting.

can anyone please help me a little more?

Didn't we have long thread on getting you to prove that if p is a prime and p divides a^2 then p divides a? Doesn't this spark something. Just think of a composite squared, like 6^2=36. Now, how can you write 36 as a product of comprime numbers? Notice anything about them?

so the coprimes must be perfect squares too? is that it?

matt grime said:

What is the difference between a perfect square and a square? (if any)

Its ambiguous to me. :frown:

3trQN said:
What is the difference between a perfect square and a square? (if any)

Its ambiguous to me. :frown:

"Perfect square" = "square of an integer"

[itex]s^2[/itex], where [itex]s=\sqrt2[/itex], is a square but not a perfect square.

murshid_islam said:
so the coprimes must be perfect squares too? is that it?

Yes.

Now, you have 2n^2 = m(m+1).

Either m is even and m/2 and m+1 are prefect squares, or m is odd and m and (m+1)/2 are prefect squares. There aren't many perfect squares in the region of 50 to 500 to check, are there? (Yes, 'perfect square' means 'square of an integer', it is perhaps a silly distinction).

CRGreathouse said:
"Perfect square" = "square of an integer"

[itex]s^2[/itex], where [itex]s=\sqrt2[/itex], is a square but not a perfect square.

Are all real numbers then square?

To me, square number = perfect square number.
It seems pointless to give all real numbers the distinction square. I think square should mean all real numbers with integer roots and perfect squares should be conserved for the set of perfect numbers, squared.

That is:
Perfect Numbers = {6,28,496,...}
Perfect square: {36,784,...}

imo.

The square of "perfect numbers" (integers) ARE perfect squares.

3trQN said:
Are all real numbers then square?

why are you introducing real numbers?

neutrino said:
The square of "perfect numbers" (integers) ARE perfect squares.
but the square roots of all perfect squares are NOT perfect numbers. :)

murshid_islam said:
but the square roots of all perfect squares are NOT perfect numbers. :)
Example, please.

(I thinlk this silly argument is irrelevant to your original post)

Ok, Murshid, you're free to tihnk that. No one else does, and it is common to conventional to mean something else. So you'd be pig-headed to carry on in that vein.

matt grime said:
why are you introducing real numbers?

Just limiting the possibility of mistakes :P

the square root of 4 is 2 which is not a perfect number

matt grime said:
Either m is even and m/2 and m+1 are prefect squares, or m is odd and m and (m+1)/2 are prefect squares. There aren't many perfect squares in the region of 50 to 500 to check, are there? (Yes, 'perfect square' means 'square of an integer', it is perhaps a silly distinction).
thanks a lot for your help matt grime. i have got the answer now. but i was just wondering how the problem can be solved using continued fractions. can anybody help me?

anyone please can you help me solve the problem using continued fractions?

1. What is "A problem from The Strand"?

"A problem from The Strand" is a famous puzzle first published in the British magazine "The Strand" in the late 19th and early 20th century. It consists of a series of clues that lead to a final solution, often requiring logical and deductive reasoning to solve.

2. Who created "A problem from The Strand"?

The creator of "A problem from The Strand" is unknown, but it is believed to have been created and edited by the staff of "The Strand" magazine. However, many famous authors, including Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, and G.K. Chesterton, contributed to the puzzles.

3. How difficult are "A problem from The Strand" puzzles?

The difficulty of "A problem from The Strand" puzzles varies, with some being relatively easy and others requiring more advanced problem-solving skills. However, they are generally considered to be challenging and require a combination of logic, lateral thinking, and sometimes knowledge of literature and history.

4. Are there any famous solutions to "A problem from The Strand"?

Yes, there have been several famous solutions to "A problem from The Strand." One of the most well-known is the solution to the "Coffin Puzzle" by G.K. Chesterton, which was eventually solved by a reader named Miss Hilda Wade and published in "The Strand" magazine in 1908.

5. Are "A problem from The Strand" puzzles still published today?

Yes, "A problem from The Strand" puzzles are still published today in various forms, including books, magazines, and online. They continue to be popular among puzzle enthusiasts and are often used in educational settings to develop critical thinking skills.